BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ask Santa for a flyrod for Christmas. I plug the shallows in the back bay from my small skiff and would like to try using a flyrod next season. I have some experience flyfishing, but it is all freshwater trout fishing. What weight rod would be used for targeting stripers in our area? When I plug I normally in less that 5' of water. What type of flyline is used (floating?,weight forward?grain?). I would prefer a travel rod so I could take it on a trip if I get the chance to fish while out of town. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tight Lines & Safe Returns,
Saltshaker

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Saltshaker, I like 8 to 9wt rods. I fish mostly shallow water and use floating and intermediate line. Anything heavier and you are dragging bottom. Like clear tip, or light gray for the intermediate. Have one of those lines that glow at night and like that too.

When fishing the inlet or beach it it intermediate, 300, 450 and 750 wt lines. 750 wt is like casting a hose but it does get down.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
They now have a 6 piece

TFO 08 90 4 P 8 Wt. 9'-0" 4 Pc. 4.4 Ounces IM6 Graphite² $149.95
TFO 08 90 6 P 8 Wt. 9'-0" 6 Pc. 5.2 Ounces IM6 Graphite²? $199.95
TFO 08 96 4 P 8 Wt. 9'-6" 4 Pc. 4.8 Ounces IM6 Graphite² $149.95
TFO 08 10 4 P 8 Wt. 10'-0" 4 Pc. 5.4 Ounces IM6 Graphite² $184.95
TFO 09 90 4 P 9 Wt. 9'-0" 4 Pc. 4.5 Ounces IM6 Graphite² $149.95
TFO 09 10 4 P 9 Wt. 10'-0" 4 Pc. 5.6 Ounces IM6 Graphite² $184.95
TFO 10 90 4 P 10 Wt. 9'-0" 4 Pc. 4.6 Ounces IM6 Graphite² $149.95

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
A 4-pc is plenty small enough for travel. It breaks down into about 2ft pieces and can fit inside a standard suitcase. I don't know if I'd want to mess around with a 6-pc rod, especially in the salt!

Your best bet is going with an intermediate line for behind Ventnor. It would be easier to transition from fresh to salt with a floating line, but you're limiting yourself with it. There are no really deep waters behind Ventnor, unless you're fishing the inlets, but an intermediate line is more functional in saltwater streamer fishing. Just a tip, go with a coldwater rated line or else you'll get unending tangles.

For the rod, start with a 9wt rod, best of both worlds. It's light enough to use in the backwaters, but still powerful enough to cast in the surf if you want. Or, if Santa is really being nice this year, ask for 2 rods, an 8 and a 10wt, which is better still.

As for TFO, stick with their lowest-end rods, as they are the softest. Coming from trouting, you won't be used to a much heavier, faster rod for the salt. With their low-end moderate-fast rods, you won't have any trouble learning the ropes. And their "low-end" rods are not crap, either. I've got 3 and like them all (and that's after using much more expensive rods).

·
Registered
789 Posts
Nine foot, 9-wt 4 piece is my "go to" rod for the salt. I made my own rod using a Loomis blank but also like the TFO rods. They are very nice rods for the $. Floating line is Ok in 5' of water, but intermediate line is more usefull all around.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think a fast action rod is much easier for a newbie to salt water to learn to cast. It is able to keep a tighter loop which is essential in casting in any kind of wind condition. It is more forgiving of casting errors than a soft action rod and, it can throw a larger, more air resistant fly than a soft action like the low end TFO. While there ar many possible rods to check oput, I would recommend a GLoomis GL3 9', 9wt in four piece. It is the kind of rod that you never grow out of, even if you become an expert caster. They sell for around $300 or even less on Ebay or used.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to go with Montcopo's suggestion and go with the GLoomis GL# 9' 9wt. Fly Ty R, I'll go with a coldwater rated intermediate flyline. But what grain? 300?

What about a reel? Any suggestions?

Tight Lines & Safe Returns,
Saltshaker

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
TFO would leave you some $ to spend on a GREAT reel. Old Florida, best value, Billy Pate best reel(probably). I would suggest 8wt, leaving room to purchase a 10 wt when you want to go to the beach or throw big stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Most intermediate fly lines aren't rated in grains. Well, they are, but they aren't sold that way. They are sold by rod/line weight (like WF9I or WF10I), not by grains. The only lines I've seen sold by grains are full sinking lines.

I'd say if you're going with the fast Loomis, get a WF10I (read: weight forward #10 intermediate) intermediate line so you can throw larger flies more easily, and also fight the wind a little better. My recommendation is an Airflo Clear Intermediate (I believe their 7000 series), but I'm sure others will debate that. Clear lines are a bit tougher to handle than "normal" lines because they tend to be more slick, but IMO the Airflo is the best coldwater intermediate I've used so far. And it just happens to be a mono core, clear line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts