BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to rant on an other thread but did not want to take it over so, here is the rest of it. Having your own boat and being middle class is getting harder and harder. To find a good crew is near impossible for me. I have one good friend I can count on thats it. 1st they all says they want to go fishing and then when you say lets go it is always some reason they can't go or you should of asked me 2 weeks ago. I try to tell them I don't know the weather 2 weeks in advance. 2nd the cost is getting to much. I have to supply everything. People now a days only have there little fluke rods. I want to go out so bad when we have a weather window I am afraid to ask for too much money to scare them off. With the price of gas and additives alone it would be close to 100 for just a striper trip. people just don't want to pay to help out. All the fisherman that know the cost have there own boats. It seems like a round robin of good boaters. Taking turns on each others boats. With the limited amount of weekends to fish this seems crazy.3rd everyone that goes out expects you to provide everything to go fishing rods,reels,lures,bait and fishing accessories. Last year alone I had people break my gaff and one of my knives. This does not include all the lures I have lost, 9ers, broken downrigger ball,tuna lures, lost anchors. All the boat maintenance,reel maintenance,Winterization. Flat tire on the trailer. Chips in the gelcoat from people hitting it with weights and gaffs.It seems like every week I'am paying for something. I don't know how charter boats make any money. I just scratched the surface of costs. I had 2 people come with me on a canyon trip that I got off the internet ( I was desperate to go out) one guy brought some stuff but the other guy complained the whole time that I didn't have this or that and when he goes out he does it this way or that. Buy your own dam boat then. Never again. I fish to relax and have fun. But more and more it seems to be a hassle. I have to keep a long list of people to call, call some then wait for a call back then call some more. I sit here in the winter cleaning and winterizing the boat for storage(All by myself) during the Christmas and New Years time. Just reflecting on how hard it was to go fishing this year. Don't get me wrong I love fishing and going in my own boat. But I think more and more of downsizing to a small CC that I can go out on my own and chartering for offshore or hitch a ride with someone else. Chip in and walk away like everyone else does to me. Probably not I will try it a few more years. I love having my own boat. My Rant

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I know a guy that has a 40' sportfisherman. He say he covers most costs of an offshore trip and asks the two or three guys he brings along to spot about a hundred dollars each towards fuel. He said last year he couldnt get crews together and thought that a few just couldnt come up with the money, or the ability to take a day off.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'am the same way I eat the biggest cost just to go out. I ask to chip in 200 to 250 for a canyon trip. My end is more than double that but I want to go and not scare them off. Gas,additives,bait,ice etc,etc.......:nuts: I still have a hard time finding people to go!!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Great post.....Kevin hit a good point on people not being able to get the day off.....i think alot of the fortunate ones that are employed actually need to work more while they can to make the ends meet in this economy. If a days work,or some overtime on a weekend, can pay an extra bill, they will choose to work over a day off.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I know how you feel, the past few seasons have been tough because I feel like I have to beg good fishermen to go with me somtimes. At least the ones that go have there own gear etc and have no problem throwing in for gas even though I never ever ask for it. My boat is not very expensive to run but its the gear I supply for the buddies that go out and have nothing. These guys like t dish but ever have good rods etc, like you said ready to fluke fish but nothig else. everytime I want a nw rod or reel I feek like I better buy 2-3 so people on the boat have something to use.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I started to rant on an other thread but did not want to take it over so, here is the rest of it. Having your own boat and being middle class is getting harder and harder. To find a good crew is near impossible for me. I have one good friend I can count on thats it. 1st they all says they want to go fishing and then when you say lets go it is always some reason they can't go or you should of asked me 2 weeks ago. I try to tell them I don't know the weather 2 weeks in advance. 2nd the cost is getting to much. I have to supply everything. People now a days only have there little fluke rods. I want to go out so bad when we have a weather window I am afraid to ask for too much money to scare them off. With the price of gas and additives alone it would be close to 100 for just a striper trip. people just don't want to pay to help out. All the fisherman that know the cost have there own boats. It seems like a round robin of good boaters. Taking turns on each others boats. With the limited amount of weekends to fish this seems crazy.3rd everyone that goes out expects you to provide everything to go fishing rods,reels,lures,bait and fishing accessories. Last year alone I had people break my gaff and one of my knives. This does not include all the lures I have lost, 9ers, broken downrigger ball,tuna lures, lost anchors. All the boat maintenance,reel maintenance,Winterization. Flat tire on the trailer. Chips in the gelcoat from people hitting it with weights and gaffs.It seems like every week I'am paying for something. I don't know how charter boats make any money. I just scratched the surface of costs. I had 2 people come with me on a canyon trip that I got off the internet ( I was desperate to go out) one guy brought some stuff but the other guy complained the whole time that I didn't have this or that and when he goes out he does it this way or that. Buy your own dam boat then. Never again. I fish to relax and have fun. But more and more it seems to be a hassle. I have to keep a long list of people to call, call some then wait for a call back then call some more. I sit here in the winter cleaning and winterizing the boat for storage(All by myself) during the Christmas and New Years time. Just reflecting on how hard it was to go fishing this year. Don't get me wrong I love fishing and going in my own boat. But I think more and more of downsizing to a small CC that I can go out on my own and chartering for offshore or hitch a ride with someone else. Chip in and walk away like everyone else does to me. Probably not I will try it a few more years. I love having my own boat. My Rant
Hey Celt, Put me on your list to call, I can make trips week days wed-fri most weeks. In the summer I'm out from July thru labor day. I had my own boat and I know what your going thru, getting older and can't do it by myself anymore, but will pitch in the dough to make it work. :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know how you feel, the past few seasons have been tough because I feel like I have to beg good fishermen to go with me somtimes. At least the ones that go have there own gear etc and have no problem throwing in for gas even though I never ever ask for it. My boat is not very expensive to run but its the gear I supply for the buddies that go out and have nothing. These guys like t dish but ever have good rods etc, like you said ready to fluke fish but nothig else. everytime I want a nw rod or reel I feek like I better buy 2-3 so people on the boat have something to use.
I know how you feel. I have offshore setups, Inshore set ups, Wreck setups, Striper trolling set ups. Just the cost of relining them is crazy. Plus the rigs,lures for each. Go out wreck fishing they loose the one or two rigs they bring and want you to supply the rest or once you are out they start with the when are we going in. I have to be home by so and so time. Which they didn't tell you when they got on. I got better at that I say we are going all day if you can't stay don't go. I feel like I'am complaining a lot. But I love to fish it is my one passion. It just seems harder to find more people like me.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The funniest is when people say they wanna go fishing, then you call a day or 2 in advance, and its oh this and oh darn that.... Or you call someone they say they will call you back, and never do.

It doesnt bother me too much though. If im not fishing my dad, and or uncle, I prefer to fish by myself.....

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
I understand your frustration. I own my own boat, and I often hop on with other guys, so I get to see both sides of the coin.

Often, plans are made a week (or more) in advance. It isn't always easy for people to switch plans around last minute.

For example, last year I offered to take 2 guys out fluking. Last minute I got a call from a buddy asking me to go offshore. I asked if he had room for 3, but he only had room for one. So my choice was either screw the 2 guys and leave them behind, or skip the offshore trip and go fluking. I declined the offshore trip, and ironically both guys bailed on me the morning of the fluke trip, so I wound up fishing alone.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The funniest is when people say they wanna go fishing, then you call a day or 2 in advance, and its oh this and oh darn that.... Or you call someone they say they will call you back, and never do.

It doesnt bother me too much though. If im not fishing my dad, and or uncle, I prefer to fish by myself.....
I have one friend that is great. Ponies up money, Buys stuff for the boat. No uncles, my father died last year(Named the boat after him,taught me to fish. I miss him)Too hard to run the boat offshore by myself. Inshore is okay.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand your frustration. I own my own boat, and I often hop on with other guys, so I get to see both sides of the coin.

Often, plans are made a week (or more) in advance. It isn't always easy for people to switch plans around last minute.

For example, last year I offered to take 2 guys out fluking. Last minute I got a call from a buddy asking me to go offshore. I asked if he had room for 3, but he only had room for one. So my choice was either screw the 2 guys and leave them behind, or skip the offshore trip and go fluking. I declined the offshore trip, and ironically both guys bailed on me the morning of the fluke trip, so I wound up fishing alone.
Had the same thing happen to me had 2 going to the canyon with me. Had an invite on a 44' SF. No more room. Turned it down. Had one bail on me last minute. My friend brought his son just so we had an extra hand. I didn't want to screw him. But my share of cost just doubled. I wouldn't take money for his son. I love to have kids fish.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
As a shop owner, I see the same thing last few years. A guy walks in with 2 or 3 guests, they are supposed to buy bait & lunch only and he is providing fuel, boat and headaches that come along with it. 90% of the time, the guests buy bait, as cheap as they can and 2 minutes later, the owner is walking back in to buy what they really need anyway! I feel bad and often give the stuff away at my cost. ( but, then I hear from the other guys involved with the shop, because its not our problem. They have a point). :huh:

Best is when I see them only want to spend $10 on bait, then they go next door to the liqour store and spend $200 on the important stuff.

I think it all comes down to the fact- "non-owners" do not have a clue how much it really costs to go out! Anyday I can step on a 30' plus ride for under $250 is a good day!!! I work my *** off, I do not have spare money, but I still make sure I cover my part.....no matter who it is!! Most times I drag a good amount of tackle and bait along to be used on the trip as well, that comes out of my pocket.

I hear your rant!!!

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me had 2 going to the canyon with me. Had an invite on a 44' SF. No more room. Turned it down. Had one bail on me last minute. My friend brought his son just so we had an extra hand. I didn't want to screw him. But my share of cost just doubled. I wouldn't take money for his son. I love to have kids fish.
I think the best thing to do is gather up a bunch of email addresses of guys who say they want to go... and send out one email saying "I have room for 2 more tomorrow"

Figure if you ask 30 guys, 1 or 2 might be able to make it last minute

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
I think it all comes down to the fact- "non-owners" do not have a clue how much it really costs to go out!
Best way is to take all the costs of the trip, and divide it by the number of guys

Bait - $100
Ice - $50
Food - $50
Fuel - $1000

Total = $1200

4 guys = $300 each

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
CelticCross.

I feel your pain, getting a charter together is a lot of work. Maybe you should start taking deposits to reserve a spot on your trips? :)
That BlueWater looks like a sweet ride. People really have no idea what it takes to feed one of those beasts.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I think the key is to find other guys to fish with who have their own rigs. If you can afford it, I think the feeling of running your own boat safely and putting your friends on fish is worth it.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
When I had my bigger boats, on the inshore stuff I always figured I was going regardless and if people chipped in, that was a plus. Now when I go as a guest, I try to cover more than my expenses when possible or allowed.

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
I think the key is to find other guys to fish with who have their own rigs. If you can afford it, I think the feeling of running your own boat safely and putting your friends on fish is worth it.
I think the cost of fuel is what really changed the game in the last few years.

Eating the cost of $300 worth of fuel is one thing... eating the cost of $1200 worth of fuel is another.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.