BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will there be many more stripers to be caught in the bay during the spring run now that the river guys cannot use the herring? that should decrease the amount of stripers landed from the river, correct?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
will there be many more stripers to be caught in the bay during the spring run now that the river guys cannot use the herring? that should decrease the amount of stripers landed from the river, correct?

hmm could have an opposite result...think about it...that guy who used to chunk or liveline herring in the rivers might become clam fisherman in the bay and now keep the fish he catches.:huh:.who knows but I doubt it will have that affect....look how they close other species of fish, it doesnt stop people from fishing they just fish another kind of fish...

·
Registered
19,692 Posts
Good question.

Will the price of bloods go up even further? Because of demand?

How far up the river do surf clams work? I never chucked a clam in the river.

I think less fish will be caught in the river. Less and less the further north one goes.

That doesn't necessarily mean more fish for the bay and ocean fisherman.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
LOL...Your getting pretty handy with the paints. Hope i run into you to offer a trade. Maybe this spring;)
If you give me a beater I'll give you a repaint. The mags are solid and catch fish, the sp's are still untested, not sure what if any effect the heavy clearcoat will have on them, Id imagine not much since they have that heavy magnet system in them to begin with.

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Good question.

I think less fish will be caught in the river. Less and less the further north one goes.

We catch real nice fish with clam up around the Tacony Bridge and above. Two years ago it was insane! Last season was hit or miss.
One area that I fish in the spring before slipping the boat is the right where the Schuy meets the Delaware river north of the airport. there is a small island that has some nice drop offs there. Hit the bass really hard there over the past 5 years, all on clam.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Good question.

Not sure about the price of bloods but I used to fish bait in the river every day after work when I lived in mayfair and saw guys catch on clams, shrimp, and chicken livers too. Id imagine bunker chunks will work just as well as herring chunks once the white perch move in and you cant use bloods anymore.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
If you give me a beater I'll give you a repaint. The mags are solid and catch fish, the sp's are still untested, not sure what if any effect the heavy clearcoat will have on them, Id imagine not much since they have that heavy magnet system in them to begin with.
I have 4 mag-minnows already sanded:D

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Gonna get me a couple gallons of pickled herring in white wine vinegar + onions from the Jewish deli. Might have to add some good ole-fashion Jewish Rye to my hook set-up to help keep the herring chunks on the hook.

But - seriously now. What is the difference between Ocean Herring - Which have NO Limits whatso-ever and River Herring? Can you catch or buy Ocean Herring and use strips of it for bait in the river ?

·
Registered
19,692 Posts
We catch real nice fish with clam up around the Tacony Bridge and above. Two years ago it was insane! Last season was hit or miss.
One area that I fish in the spring before slipping the boat is the right where the Schuy meets the Delaware river north of the airport. there is a small island that has some nice drop offs there. Hit the bass really hard there over the past 5 years, all on clam.
Wow! One of the reasons I haven't taken up river fishing in years is the price of bloods, and the boat;).

I thought everyone was using herring or bloods in the river???

Thanks

Clamming the river sounds good.:thumbsup: I'm off all of March.:razz:

I can walk to the freaking river!!! I won't but I could.

I bet I could still find my teenage honey holes. ;)

·
Registered
19,692 Posts
Not sure about the price of bloods but I used to fish bait in the river every day after work when I lived in mayfair and saw guys catch on clams, shrimp, and chicken livers too. Id imagine bunker chunks will work just as well as herring chunks once the white perch move in and you cant use bloods anymore.
I thought it was all herring and bloods.:huh: I used to hit the river every March.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I thought it was all herring and bloods.:huh: I used to hit the river every March.
It is.. Blood worms are good until the herring come in..when the herring come in the water is warmer and blood worms get mangled by the perch..I'm sure other baits MIGHT work but why would a striper want to eat a salted clam or old bunker chunk when there are hundreds of thousands of herring swimming in the river??? Who knows? people will still fish for them but not as many will be caught..not even close..

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
there arent hundreds of thousands of herring left!!! thats why you cant use them. if there is a shortage of bait fish a clam would definately b the ticket.. maybe thats why guys been catching with them all the way up river...

·
Registered
6,121 Posts

Use the perch Bass eat them too....

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I slipped in the river for two years before coming to the bay. Caught bass on Herring but many more on clam and mackerel. I read that once the Herring is in the river they won't eat anything else. I found that completely untrue. If you find them they will eat anything you put in front of their noses.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
there arent hundreds of thousands of herring left!!! thats why you cant use them. if there is a shortage of bait fish a clam would definately b the ticket.. maybe thats why guys been catching with them all the way up river...
I don't want to offend you in any way..BUT How do you know how many Herring there are..Did you count them? There were millions that swam up the river, now there may only be hundreds of thousands..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts