BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As President of the South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers, SJCFA, I would like to invite those that thought they might like to saltwater fly fish and were afraid to let their buddies know that they had such thoughts and to all those that might have a fly rod tucked in a closet somewhere, not knowing what how to use it.

Just thought I would have a little fun, but seriously, anyone interested in learning about saltwater flyfishing, you are welcome to attend as a guest to one of our meetings.

Fly fishing is just another method of catching fish and at times can be just as effective as bait and lures used on spin and conventional rods and reels. If you are curious and want to see what it is all about, you will find we are a friendly group willing to help you learn what it takes to be sucessful.

·
Registered
544 Posts
When are your meetings. Bought a bunch of that stuff a number of years back tried it didn't do that well don't use it very much but still have an interest.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Me, me, me, me, me. Tried it a few times and can make the fly crack the sound barrier on every cast. :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
If I'm running the boat and my buddy is using a fly rod, does it mean that I have flyrodding tendencies? I also sometimes look at ten-weight Loomises at Cabela's.
Should I seek counselling?
Is it acceptable to discuss this with my chunking friends, and will they still accept me as I am?
My god, I am so conflicted, this is so complicated.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GABTRED, Our meetings are the third Thursday of the month. At the Bay Center in Ocean City, New Jersey and start at 7:00 p.m. You can get more information on the Fly Fishing thread of the barn, plus we have a web-site Southjerseycoastalflyanglers.com Right now it is under reconstruction, but has a map with instructions on how to get to Bay Center.

If you can make it to one of our meetings, we will start you in a positive fish catching direction. Hope you can make one of our meetings.

Fred, even a chunk master like you could find some some fun in the fly rod. I am no purest. When I first started fly fishing in once put piece of bunker on the end of a bare hook, just to see what it would feel like to catch a big bass on a fly rod. (that is just between you and me. Don't tell anyone.) I don't do that anymore now that I know how to use the rod, flies and retreiving methods.

I use bait on spin and conventional, throw lures, and throw flies. I love it all A good angler should know how to use all kinds of equipment and not be afraid to try something new.

Outdoors, I don't know? It is when you are fishing with the fly rod, and catching and you buddies start saying, let me try one on that, or can I use that other rod. Then there is a problem, you just might be a flyer.

You will find most saltwater fly fishermen are just regular guys, just using a differnt method.
Salt water fly fishermen, are not hung up on how well they look, or whether that have that super expensive gear that is sometimes associated with freshwater in many of the catalogs.

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
I bought a flyrod about 5 years ago. I tried a few times and then it became a wall decoration. I am definetly interested in attending one of the meetings to take a look.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
chunking; I watch you with a Fly rod on TV that was fly drifting! LOL

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Barnaby, We would love to help you shake that dust off it. Hope you can make a meeting soon. Once you learn how to use it and have confidence you never leave home without it. For years I had friends telling me about fly fishing and I put it off, it looked hard, and a million excuses. Then I just went out an bought a set up and just did it. I wished my friends got me into it earlier. It is all a matter of understanding how to use it and confidence.

·
Registered
311 Posts
CMR,
I actually would like to try it, always seemed pretty neat to me. My buddy Dave is starting this year, and for me this will probably be the year too. thanks for the invite.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Outdoors, we would love to have you join us. We are there to help you. You will find you will use flyrod more, when you understand how to use it. Fishing buddy is alway good, you can compare notes and help each other.

·
Administrator
5,198 Posts
Great going Ray. Guys this club can definetly get you started in the right direction. Good bunch of knowlegeable guys,(still waiting for the first gal), who are ready & willing to talk flying, show & help casting, fly tieing & some flying tchniques. Hope some of you find your way to a meeting. Nice going Ray.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
The club is worth joining just for the speakers and presentations. We have promoted our club at the best shows and have had world reknown speakers and tyers. We will continue to make this club grow!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sparse, we do have a couple of gals from the Girl's Place, They have been to several meetings and one of them is into tying flys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts