BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I look forward to all the fishing catalogs in the mail. All kinds of new tackle to spend money on and you can spend a lot of it. Yesterday while watching the slush storm down here at the shore I started my list. Total came to over $1,000.00. This happens every year so I go back over the list and thin it out. Do I need the $80.00 fish grip when my $10.00 plastic gripper has worked perfectly for over five years. Do I need the new reel when it will stand in line with the other six I hardly ever use.

Yhe next go around I trimmed the total down to $400.00 and by the time I place my order it will be down to around $100.00. It happens every year.

What bothered me was this. I have fished my whole life and more or less know what works for me and what doesn't. What about the people who are just starting out. What about the people who fish once or twice a year but just aren't sure of what to use. A catalog can be very intimidating. Some are as big as phone books and they make it sound like you need every item they carry.

A few weeks ago I received a phone call from a person who has fished but now intends to get into it big time. He started asking what fishing rod should he use that would make it look like he knew what he was doing. He didn't want to get on a boat and look like a beginner.

We were all beginners at one time. I don't know where I would be with fishing if I hadn't made about thirty trips a season with my father when I was a little kid. He filled me with knowledge that I was able to expand on when I started fishing on my own.

I was lucky and realize that not everyone had that advantage. Now it seems that if you decide to take up fishing you step right into the fast lane. Open your wallet and you are ready to go.

If you are a novice and need some advice this is the season to do it. Find someone with knowledge and experience and pick their brain. Winter isn't the best time to be buying new tackle. It's the best time to find the good anglers and ask questions. For many just talking about fishing is the next best thing to going fishing. In winter you aren't interfering with their fishing.

Before you throw a bunch of money at a name brand take the time to ask some questions. You may be surprised at how many are more than willing to help.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
With the internet I see guys that are INSTANT experts. They fish one season..Do OK(because they chased reports)...and start giving everyone advice on fishing, gear..ect. It gets worse every year. I try to give advice about stuff I have a lot of experience with ON THE WATER. I see people ask questions and get about 20 diffferent responses. Sometimes I dont bother even responding because so many guys think their way is the only way and question what you have been doing for years with great success. People try to get recognition on the net but when you meet them...a lot more than not...they are beginners with very little actual experience. They have internet or book knowledge. How does a newbie to the site or fishing know when he is getting years of experience in the answer or is getting advice from someone with very little actual experience?

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean Hip.

I see questions asked here that have many responses that don't help at all. I'm not big on offshore fishing so I stay out of those topics. The trouble is there are sometimes too many cooks in the kitchen and it's difficult to figure out who to listen to.

I was thinking on a little leg work for the beginner. Get off the sofa and head out to some of the tackle shops or marinas. Ask for some names of the best fisherman around and if they can contact them. The internet is great but it has a cost. Like you said anyone can sound like a pro online. In person you can see their tackle and look them in the eye and shake their hand. You can learn a lot sitting in front of a monitor. You can learn a lot more by walking out your front door.

It's tuff to filter out fact from fiction when thirty people are whispering in your ear. A little one on one will go a long way in gaining knowledge for any of your interests.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Very well said Fred,now go back to sleep,you have to stay up late tonight to see the Birds game
:D :D :D

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I used to post reports alot so that when I gave advice I could be taken seriously. I dont care anymore. I suggest they ask you, the guides/charter captains, the guys they see doing well. Thats the best bet I guess. I am getting a bigger boat soon and will be venturing in the bay and rips. I have already gotten great advice from some real pros at that game. Even on boat design. I have been at the saltwater thing for a while and always learn and you cant be afraid to ask for help.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I agree with Fred, I also had the advantage of a family member (uncle) who always took us fishing in the Sandy Hook area...he set the foundation for three brothers, at least one of us is on the water every day of the year... but you always have to be willing to listen and learn...there is a great difference between twenty years of experience and one year of experience twenty times... when we bought a place on Amelia Island Fl, we had to learn how to fish the area...and I had to do it all again when I moved to NWW a few years ago...watch, listen, make friends with the local sharpies...put in your time...it will come...I too have taken a bit of Hip's philosophy.....I have developed the "Mr. Ed" philosophy...I dont speak unless I have something to say... :cool:

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Fred- same thing happens to me. I spend all this $$$ each Spring and end up using the same old standbys.

I told myself I was taking a year off this- as far as the mega buying. We'll see. Gonna hit the Worldwide Sportman's center down in Islamorada next month. Might have to ask Joe to hold my $$$ for me.....on second thought bad idea. :D

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's wild how something can look so good on paper. I have a two sided tackle box. On one side is the tackle I use most of the time. The other is most of the tackle that I purchased when I was hungry.

Once in a while I turn it over and take a look. What the heck was I thinking. $$$$$ to fill open slots in a tackle box. In the bottom of my tackle bag is my real embarrassment. One of those hundred tools in one. Scissors, pliers, compass, saw, hook remover, tape measure, scaler, whistle and if you turn it over you have a handy ironing board with blender attachment.

Years ago I purchased a real nifty knife. Fancy handle that opened up so you could change blades. It came with three blades. One long fillet, one short fillet and one that looked like it could saw, cut, chop down trees. I figured I could at least use the two fillet blades. About a month later both fillet blades were broke and I just didn't have any trees to saw, cut or chop down.

Once again it was a winter time purchase.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
The One Thing That I Have Learned Over My 30yrs
of Fishing is to Keep Your Eyes & Ears Open all
the time...Some People Just Have It In Them,But
Your Knowledge Will Go A Long Ways By Paying
Attention and Being Friendly to Your Fellow Fishermen...
Growing Up, I didn't have anyone
to learn from,basically traveling to my local
creeks and rivers in Penna.,and thru trial and
error and just plain old effort I learned the
Freshwater scene and became very good at it..
I later taught my Dad and Brother how to fish
and some friends along the way...
Moving To CapeMay County back in the early 80's
brought many new challenges..Being Like A Kid
in a Candy Store with so many opportunities
I tried to suck up as much information as possible
in the beginning..WhereEver I Went
Fishing-The Beach,The Jetty,The Bridge etc.
I would find and become friends with the old
timers who have fished these area's for decades.
And I Would Listen,and Listen Hard...
It payed off BigTime,and with the continued effort
and desire to become a better fishermen
It Made Me A Better Fishermen,and I Thank Them
For That..And As I now become a middle age fishemen
and down the road a oldtimer myself
I look forward to sharing this knowledge with
fishermen that feel the same way....
Fred,mentioned what's the next best thing
about going fishing and thats talking about
fishing,and what better place then right here
at the BassBarn.Com......

[ 01-24-2005, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree that the Barn is a great place to talk about fishing. Lots of knowledge across these many pages. The only problem is that any guy on the internet can sound and look like an Adonis. Any girl can look and sound like a goddess.

How is a beginner supposed to seperate fact from fiction. I agree with Hip that many times a fishing question is filled with some fishy replys. A novice can be overwhelmed with some questionable tips. I know it's not done on purpose but it happens.

I'm a beginner without a boat so I want to do some sod bank fishing. I post a question like. Whats a good rod and reel to use from the sod. By the time you click on there are already twenty replys. You can pretty much guarantee that some replys can be misleading. How is the beginner supposed to figure out what way to go.

It's just too easy for someone to sound like a pro on the internet. Maybe a seasoned fisherman can see through it but a beginner won't be able to. I don't have the answer how to filter through it. Sometimes when I see a newbie ask a question I feel sorry for them from some of the replys. It can be very confusing for any beginner.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Originally posted by hipkvw:
With the internet I see guys that are INSTANT experts. They fish one season..Do OK(because they chased reports)...and start giving everyone advice on fishing, gear..ect.
Rodger that, moreso inshore than the offshore grounds. When you stop learning your dead, is the way I take this game. ;)

·
Registered
16,419 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
The One Thing That I Have Learned Over My 30yrs
of Fishing is to Keep Your Eyes & Ears Open all
the time...Some People Just Have It In Them,But
Your Knowledge Will Go A Long Ways By Paying
Attention and Being Friendly to Your Fellow Fishermen...
WhereEver I Went
Fishing-The Beach,The Jetty,The Bridge etc.
I would find and become friends with the old
timers who have fished these area's for decades.
And I Would Listen,and Listen Hard...
It payed off BigTime,and with the continued effort
and desire to become a better fishermen
It Made Me A Better Fishermen,and I Thank Them
For That..And As I now become a middle age fishemen
and down the road a oldtimer myself
I look forward to sharing this knowledge with
fishermen that feel the same way....
Fred,mentioned what's the next best thing
about going fishing and thats talking about
fishing,and what better place then right here
at the BassBarn.Com......
Right on Nightstrikes! Listen, observe and pay attention to details and you will learn! I've probably learned more from the "oldtimers" at the docks in my 20+ years of being in Cape May than from the "professionals" The oldtimers allways seem more willing to share info. as some of the professionals who's brains O've tried to pick over the years musta felt the need to stay tight lipped, unless you are paying them! Though watch them, observe and you will learn, atleast from what I've gathered, how to be succesfull while staying on the cheap. Another way to get info. from the professionals is to do it indirectly. They all have buddies at the bait and tackle stores they share info. with. Patronize & befriend the guys at the bait & tackle stores and they will share this info. w/ you! To ultimately become a great angler though, take what you learn and apply it towards coming up w/ your own techniques and don't refrain from sharing them w/ others. Each and every day out on the water try to learn something, like Chum said, you only stop learning when you are dead!

About the equipment deal, some of us just like to throw away money :D like the way I sometimes buy a couple of the same rated rods from a couple different companies then stick w/ the one I like best, while the other ones serve as backup!

[ 01-25-2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: CaptG ]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Don't shop when you're hungry and/or bored! I went through my favorite catalog last weekend and marked about 50 pages with every intention of ordering on-line that night. Fortunately I got side tracked and have since decided to wait until I actually sort through my current mess and have a trip in sight before going nuts. Also, have to agree that seeing is believing when it comes to advice. I have the advantage of docking within spitting distance of some captains who seem to fish 8 days a week, and can't wait to talk to them about what they caught and how whenever I can.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I would definitley not consider myself a professional but not a complete newbie either. I have learned alot from The Barn. The thing that helps me the most is actually spending time on the water, trying stuff out. Alot of things I've learned have come from making mistakes. That's the best way. I've also never asked for a specific spot from anyone & have driven for countless hours & walked miles of beaches finding my own (which is rewarding in itself) & like Capt G said, talk to the oldtimers, I can't tell you how many conversations I've struck up with guys who have been fishing longer than I've been alive & have come away with extremley helpful knowledge & info. Not to mention those guys usually have great stories too.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Originally posted by mch:
... have driven for countless hours & walked miles of beaches finding my own (which is rewarding in itself)....
Definitly rewarding. People have lost site of that.

·
Banned
1,057 Posts
Originally posted by hipkvw:
With the internet I see guys that are INSTANT experts. How does a newbie to the site or fishing know when he is getting years of experience in the answer or is getting advice from someone with very little actual experience?
Hip, if someone is a newbie to the site do you automaticaly think that they are new to fishing, i am pretty much new to this site, and i have been fishing for 15yrs, does this mean i am a beginer to the game, or is it that i am new to the site so i dont know the first thing about fishin. I think that what you guys are saying is true but for some people it is exactly the opposite. ;)

just my own 2cents

·
Registered
194 Posts
I started fishing again this past season after not having fished for about 12 years.Don't ask me why,I've always enjoyed it;but a person gets caught up in so many other things.Before that dry spell I fished on a constant basis.I was no expert but certainly not a beginner.I do however feel like a beginner now.I had a great season with some very nice catches and had such a great time that I'm chomping the bit right now like everyone else.I couldn't believe the changes and advances that were made in just a dozen years.Braided line,circle hooks,long distance casting etc.were not things I had heard of until this year.I'm just glad that sites like these exist.I have learned quite a bit from the contributions made here.Here at the Barn I can read hands on reviews that I have been unable to research anywhere else,and by quite experienced and seasoned people.There was a fisherman who stopped and talked with me about a month ago while I was fishing in NWW.Had a great conversation with him for quite awhile and he told me about Bass Barn.Now that I found him on an active thread I can say "Thanks Fred" great site!

·
Registered
453 Posts
WELL SAID CSSTRIPER. I BELIEVE JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE ASK ALOT OF QUESTIONS (LIKE MYSELF)DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE BEGINNERS. I HAVE BEEN FISHING FRESH AND SALT SINCE I WAS 3. WOW 30 YEARS. I KNOW ALOT ABOUT FISHING BUT I ALWAYS AM WILLING TO LEARN NEW THINGS AND SHARE SOME THINGS.IF YOU WERE ALL EXPERTS AND HAD ALL THE ANSWERS YOU WOULD BE PRETTY RICH.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Last year I bought enough beads, spinner blades and hooks for a couple years of fluking. This year it will only be some different hooks. Just about any gadget I've bought has been broken or lost. Stuff just disappears when you need it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.