BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody make it to the outdoor show at the expo center, I was really disappointed this year. Didn't really find any dealsexcept one vendor who had diamond jigs cheap, i loaded up on them. but otherwise I really didn't see anything spectacular besides some great fly tying displays. Any other opinions?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I second that opinion. I have not attended that show in several years. Same crap all of the time with little salt water fishing related booths/products. Waste of time.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I quess it is what it is, and what you make of
it,,
Yes, its seems there is less Saltwater Items
for sale and Information about such each year....
More of a Hunting Show,The Guys in Camo Seemed
Happy about the Show...
I did enjoy talking to some of the Reps from
Shimano and St.Criox.They anwsered all my
questions and I had the opportunity to check
out some reels and rods that I am interested
in..

On the other hand my 10yr old Son just loved it,
first time that I took him..And It Was A Hit....
He must of sat on every Quad at the show twice.
He really enjoyed the LumberJack Show and Hooked
Up with at least (3)Rainbow's in the Trout Pond..

Will Be Doing It Again Next Year....

·
Registered
560 Posts
Maybe it's me, but I never go to the outdoor show to look for bargins. It's a great break in the monotony that is mid-winter in eastern PA. I took my boys and one of their friends and had great time. I saw some old friends from the south Jersey charter fleet. I got all the new catalogues for the reading room, shot some paint balls, sucked up every free food sample, laughed at the idiots trying to catch a trout in the wading pool (not the kids but the adults), walked through the RV's, and generally had a good time. I saw the same guy I talk to every year who runs drift boat trips in Oswego NY and for the 6th straight year vowed that this would be the year I'd call him and set up a trip.

I left with a rubber band rifle complete with scope for my 11 yr. old, a $3 bag of rubber frogs, crayfish, salomanders, and worms, a quarter pound of Elk jerky, some uniquely flavored seasoning salt (Cracker Boy and Cracker girl), and $90 less in my pocket.

I liked it.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Originally posted by Capt.Mike4108:
Maybe it's me, but I never go to the outdoor show to look for bargins. It's a great break in the monotony that is mid-winter in eastern PA.
Capt. Mike,

Thats exactly how I feel. Never went to one looking for a deal, and if there were any, what you got were some type of lures!

The best day to go to a show is the last day. The booth tenders are looking to push their stuff on the last day..Thats when you will be most likely to get a deal! ;)

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
There are very few deals at the shows,space is entremely expensive,know some guys who had the booth,were lucky to break even. You would be better off going to the fishing flea markets,mostly all fishing related gear,local people,no expensive admission fee and sone real good bargins. The only thing I like about going to the shows are meeting the manufactors reps,seeing whats new this year,maybe looking at a different type of fishing area,like Alaska,plus the free samples of food. :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
i was extremly disappointed. that was my first time there, i wont be back! not much stuff for us stripper lovers. it was all charter boat captains, and outfitters, not bad if that was what you were looking for, but it was average at best. i would defintly like more information on the flea markets

·
Registered
9 Posts
Venturing from New York, this was my first trip to the Fort Washington Expo. and I had a good time.

Aside from promoting the AquaSkinz new products and assisting Mike Laptew's Crocodile Bay lodge, I did find a very interesting custom lure called Big Don's plugs. The local PA tackle shop (Sport Fish' Outlet) had an incredible selection from bottle poppers, Pencils and swimmers.

I just can't wait to try it on our Stripers! I am sure they are going to be killer lure!

"Crazy" Alberto

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
i found some deals that i thought were ok

gammy hooks 5/0 100 for $30 not too bad also 9/0 5 for 2.50 not too bad i bought a few things but not too much my gal loved the pepper shooters the pickle guy had

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
I worked it 2 days for the RFA and the show wasn't as busy as years past. It had the same number of tackle guys as in years past but interest just seemed real low. We usually sign up quite a few guys for the RFA but there were people interested but not willing to spend the $. I think the attitude of most was just cautious to spend.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I enjoyed the show... got to talk to some fellow barners and charter captains. It was the first one that I have attended though.

It got me out of the house. I didn't expect much as far as deals on buying gear and I caught a few seminars...

Game fish gone wild with Mike Laptew, some great underwater striper footage.

Doug Hannon talking about fish behavior... very interesting.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I agree with most of what was said. However I would like to see some more fishing stuff. It was great to see everyone and talk to fellow barners and charter boat capts. The kids had a great time fighting the marlin's in the simulation machine. Hopefully we can teach them to do something more productive other than playing on computers all day:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts