BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm going to St. Croix end of November...What kind of fishing can I expect ??? Charters ???? $$$$$?????? Thanks, roger

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm going to St. Croix end of November...What kind of fishing can I expect ??? Charters ???? $$$$$?????? Thanks, roger

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
When will Big Red get the birds over the hump?

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Birds are over the hump. Somebody saw a robin.

Fish are always at CISP. Like Easter Eggs, you just have to find them.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Free advice you say...My brother and I are looking to buy an investment property, 3 apt units, but would live in one. Would there be any benefit or drawback to incorporate? Do you know any of the stipulations of incorporation?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Thanks alot. He is looking at something else for me too. The Barn is great! :D
If anybody has any Civil Engineering questions, I will do my best to offer my assistance. Not quite as helpful as a lawyer, but if you have stormwater issues, I am the man! Thanks Jimbo and Tom.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Originally posted by reel thing 25:
Free advice you say...My brother and I are looking to buy an investment property, 3 apt units, but would live in one. Would there be any benefit or drawback to incorporate? Do you know any of the stipulations of incorporation?
Reel,

I may not be a lawyer, actually Mako is the guy I use too.. However I might be able to help you with your question. In most instances, people who own real estate and rental units do not need to incorporate until there are many units involved. If you do not have employees and aren't manufacturing anything there is just no need to be insulated from your business. A large 1 to 2 million dollar blanket liability insurance policy should be protection enough. The catch is that if you do anything illegal or are found negligent to the point of illegality, your corporate veil will be peirced and you will have no protection..........no different with an insurance policy.

Save the $$ and the headaches and wait till you become BIG before incorporating. That is what my policy has been so far. Oh and one more thing, make sure anyone who does any work for you, painting, cleaning, construction etc. is a private contractor and cannot be deemed an employee of yours.........that can actually be disasterous.

Good luck and have fun in the Landlording Business!

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Thanks alot. I am sure that I will have many questions if the deal actually transpires. Luckily I do have some pretty good resources between my brother and I. I already have the attorney set up to act as my buyer agent and take care of that paperwork. Now its up to the bank!

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Reel last year when we got 3 ft of snow and all that rain I had water comming up through the floor in basement.i dug a hole in the lowest corner of the basement where I was going to run french drains out of corogated plastic pipe.Also I have efflorecence (white powder) that keeps comming back any suggestions for a do it your selfer?Already own a jack hammer.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Also does any know were I can buy metal window Jamb liners for old double hung windows?They used to sell them at HD and no longer carry them.Thank`s.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Three feet of snow is hard to plan for. The water follows your foundation because its the path of least resistance. You are correct in that your best bet is a french drain in combination with a sump pump. dont know about the powder.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Reelquick,
I had a similar problem in my basement.
The tar on the outside hollow block was not applied properly and the water was seeping in through the pourous block.

The french drain is the best with a sump on a battery backup.

The white powder is a chemical reaction of some sort. If the walls are un painted, you can buy an acid to wash the walls and prep them for drylock.

I put down several coats of dry lock on the walls and broke away 2 inches of concrete from the floor in the basement and then drilled half inch holes below grade for pressure relief. The water still comes through the walls at the holes, but is channeled into the sump via the 2 inch wide gap.

I have not had a water problem in a couple of years now.

A good diamond blade, concrete saw and hammer drill is all you need to do the work, then install a sump on an APC that can give you a couple of hours of run time.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The efflorecence is caused by moisture traveling to an evaporation point and bringing "salts" (lime, calcium & etc.) to the surface. This condition cannot be cured without completely waterprofing the exterior of the masonry. A lot of products are "hustled" but anything you apply to the surface is only adhering to the "salts" and will eventually fail. Wire and stucco will work until the moisture begins evaporating thru the stucco. Dehumidification just causes more evaporation. If you want the wall pretty, build a wall in front but make sure you have ventilation to the space behind.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts