BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been asked on here before in a previous thread but........ A few buddies and I are going to catch some herring(atlantic) and cut them up to use as strip baits for fluke fishing. What is the best way to preserve them and keep them for the upcoming season?? I have been told to fillet them, lay the strips on kosher salt, cover them with kosher salt, and so on... then put them in a freezer. Any opinions or better ideas. We are trying to stock up our own bait this year.

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
I have done the kosher salt thing in the past, and it works really well.

This year, I am going to try using water softener salt.

IIRC, Chunking had a really good write up on it, you may want to search his posts.

edit: JustinB beat me to it

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cut to bait size, dry (paper towels), lightly salt, wrap, bag or preferably vacume seal and freeze! If you dry it takes less salt and the package ends up much dryer so bait nicer! I take more than enough bait when I fish and leave extra in cooler to put back in freezer if not used, Also if not salted you must thaw before using (bait freezes together), the salt keeps the bait from a hard freeze so it can be used right away! Good fishing

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I salt , paper toweled fillets then use those individual baked potato aluminum foil squares to accordian the individual baits . This way the baits stay straight. I do blue fish filets also and mackeral.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Salt the hell out of it and keep in fridge ..no need to freeze ..it breaks down the meat and it gets mushy..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts