BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battle is on:

Fresh Clams vs. Salted Clams

I prefer using freshly schucked clams, however I have problems keeping them on the line.

What's the best way to hook a clam... Some tell me use the whole thing, others tell me to cut it in half. How many times do you hook the clam?

Is tying it on with string necessary?

Others tell me to let your clams rot and/or use special bunker oil... Is this advisable?

I want to keep it simple.

How about hook size...

Tell me... Is one whole freshly schucked clam with a '7' hook, with a fish finder rig, the best way to go from the beach?

[ 11-06-2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Dakota Rob ]

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sorry, I simply could not resist. I personally would not recommend rotting your clams.

I use fresh whenever I can, but salted most the time when casting, plus they keep better if not used up.

Your setup sounds pretty good.

If no one else offers a constructive reply then use the website search feature. Very handy.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I FISH BAIT MOST OF THE TIME. AND CLAMS ARE WHAT I USE MOST. I HAVE USED FRESH AND SALTED.
I LIKE SALTED BETTER NOT BECAUSE THEY GET MORE BITES BUT BECAUSE THEY STAY ON THE HOOK BETTER AND THEY LASY LONGER WHEN THE CRABS ARE AROUND.
I HAVE USED FRESH AND SALTED AT THE SAME TIME A LOT IN THE PAST. AND NEVER SEEN ANY ONE OUT FISH THE OTHER.
AS FAR AS USEING THE WHOLE THING I DONT. I GET 2 OR 3 BAITS FROM ONE CLAM DEPENDING ON SIZE OF THE CLAM.
DONT FORGET IF A BASS CAN FIND A GRASS SHRIMP IT CAN FIND A HALF DOLLAR SIZE HUNK OF CLAM.
AS FAR AS RIGS I MAKE POMPONO RIGS SOME WITH ONE HOOK SOME WITH TWO HOOKS.
I ALSO USE 5/0 OWNER MUTU LITE HOOKS AND BREAK AWAY SATALITE SINKERS.
MOST OF THE TIME WHEN THE FISH PULLS THAT SINKER OUT ON THE SAND IT SETS THE HOOK BY ITS SELF.
WORKS GREAT WHEN FISH ARE PICKING UP BAIT AND RUNNING AT YOU!!
I THINK THE MOST IMPORTENT PART IS TO USE WHAT YOU FELL GOOD ABOUT.
MOST GUY STICK WITH WHAT WORKS FOR THEM.
AS FOR ME I HAVE MORE POPPERS/PLUGS/METTEL AND SWIMMERS THEN ANY ONE SHOULD EVER NEED. AND CATCH 95% OF MAY FISH ON (CLAMS)
GO GET EM!!
THE ONLT OTHER THING IS CHANG YOUR BAIT WHEN IT LOOKS WASHED OUT. FRESH CLAM ABOUT 15INM. SALTED 30 TO 45MIN

·
Registered
394 Posts
if you can get fresh anything ALWAYS get fresh - everything else should be a second choice. just get thread at the tackle shop to tie the clam on. also, chuck your shells, and whatever part of the clam you don't use into the water. if the clams are small put 2 or 3 on the hook and tie them on.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Don't tie the clam, that sucks

# 8-10 . I prefer J you can use a circle

Fresh shucked, don't let anyone tell you otherwise

Put it on a slider, egg sinker slide is my favorite

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I've caught quite a few bass on some "fresh" clam that was on its way out-there might be something to that extra funk! ;) IMO you have to tie the clam on if you're going to throw it any distance, but if you're just lobbing it I guess you could get away with it. I just cant stand the feeling of possibly fishing with no bait or worse when you see your bait drop behind you and your rig ends up perfectly in the rip 300 feet away and you have to reel in 8 ounces of nothing!

[ 11-07-2004, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: bassvamp ]

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I THINK THE DOC HAS BEEN DIPPING TO HIS OWN MEDS. :D
DOC HE WAS FISHING THE SURF THE EGG SINKER WONT WORK IN THE SURF HE NEEDS SOME THING TO HOLD BOTTEM. THE EGG THING IS A KILLER FROM A BOAT. ;)
AND THERE ARE LOTS OF TIMES SALTED HAS OUT FISHED FRESH. LIKE WHEN THERE A LOT OF CRABS IT TAKES THE CRAB A LOT LONGER TO RIP THE BAIT APART. AND IF THE TIDE IS RUNNING RARD THE SALTED WILL NOT WASH OUT AS FAST. ITS ALSO HARDER FOR SMALL FISH KINGES/ CROKERS/ SKATES/ AND SMALL SAND SHARKS TO STEEL YOUR BAIT. :cool:
ALSO A LOT OF THE STORE BOUGHT FROZEN SALTED CLAMS ARE QUAHOGS WITCH HAVE MOORE (iodine?)not shore of spelling.AND HAVE A STRONGER ODER WITCH THE BASS LOVE.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Originally posted by BEACHBASSARD:
I THINK THE DOC HAS BEEN DIPPING TO HIS OWN MEDS. :D
DOC HE WAS FISHING THE SURF THE EGG SINKER WONT WORK IN THE SURF HE NEEDS SOME THING TO HOLD BOTTEM. THE EGG THING IS A KILLER FROM A BOAT. ;)
AND THERE ARE LOTS OF TIMES SALTED HAS OUT FISHED FRESH. LIKE WHEN THERE A LOT OF CRABS IT TAKES THE CRAB A LOT LONGER TO RIP THE BAIT APART. AND IF THE TIDE IS RUNNING RARD THE SALTED WILL NOT WASH OUT AS FAST. ITS ALSO HARDER FOR SMALL FISH KINGES/ CROKERS/ SKATES/ AND SMALL SAND SHARKS TO STEEL YOUR BAIT. :cool:
ALSO A LOT OF THE STORE BOUGHT FROZEN SALTED CLAMS ARE QUAHOGS WITCH HAVE MOORE (iodine?)not shore of spelling.AND HAVE A STRONGER ODER WITCH THE BASS LOVE.
A heavy egg works for me, a 5 or 6 ounce. I like it because it can roll and move but won't tangle like a sinker slide. I mix it up. Even tried the sputnik sinkers. But they still tangle at times. Got into the eggs after being here in Florida, may be a fad who knows

I know your a good fisherman so no arguement from me, just a different perspective.

I too will use the salted only because you can chuck them a mile. I typically go out with both. If the fresh are still alive and clammed shut(no pun intended) I almost always go with the fresh. I can get them out there for 1-2 casts, that's usually enough. Try hooking it through the tip of the tongue, then twice through. Wrap the thin bilayer of tissue that rims the shell around the hook to lock it in. It works good. And now is the time to do it. Like you said, a honest bait fisherman will admit, clam from the surf always. Even during a blitz.

Oops, tip given away :D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
HEY DOC THE EGG SINKER WILL PROB WORK IN A STRONG NOREASTER. :eek:
I HAVE 6&8 OZ. JIG HEADS THAT ARE USED FOR COD.
IN A STRONG NOREASTER WHEN NOTHING HOLDS :mad: I THROW THEM IN TO THE WIND AND THEN WALK THEM DONW THE BEACH. :cool:
I THINK NEXT TIME I,LL TRY THE BIG EGG!!!
SHOULD GET LESS GRASS ON BAIT WITH IT

P.S. DAKOTAROB DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE CLOSE TO ANY OTHER FISHERMAN I DONT WANT TO GET BLAMED FOR YOU BEING (KILLED) :eek: :mad: :D :D

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
P.S. DAKOTAROB DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE CLOSE TO ANY OTHER FISHERMAN I DONT WANT TO GET BLAMED FOR YOU BEING (KILLED) :eek: :mad: :D :D [/QB][/QUOTE]

LOL

Calm down with those graemlin faces, everyone is gonna think your suffer from multiple personalities or schizophrenia.

I throw wood in heavy Nor'Easters

Don't worry about Dakota. He has asked so many questions he probally won't remember this one :D

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I would not be so fast to say no to FUNKY clams I have found them to work quite well when fresh has failed!! And they stay on the hook p.s. I use a rubber band to hold on fresh works fine
.................Jim

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I use salted when I can they hold on the hook well.When I use fresh I use a rubber band just like rubrbsct does it is an easier way of doing it IMHO.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Rubber or that string works.

You just don't need it.

Use the thin strip of clam that lines the shell rim.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Fresh over salted, if they are really fresh (still alive).... always for me. Take a little clam string and give it a few wraps... A FEW (don't knit the damn thing a sweater) and tie it off. The stripers couldn't care less about a few wraps of string....

And if an egg sinker works for you, use it.... but in sand, I am a pyramid guy...

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Originally posted by fmTuna:
Fresh over salted, if they are really fresh (still alive).... always for me. Take a little clam string and give it a few wraps... A FEW (don't knit the damn thing a sweater) and tie it off. The stripers couldn't care less about a few wraps of string....

And if an egg sinker works for you, use it.... but in sand, I am a pyramid guy...
What tricks do you use to avoid THE TANGLE???

·
Registered
107 Posts
Whale Creek Marina, Strathmere (Shell per each)

Capt Tates, S. Dennisville (Shucked by LB)

Both usually have them, call ahead. Check ad section for #'s

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Chris:

You can also get fresh clams from Dave at www.abseconbay.com Or from No Bones B&T in Wildwood. Both are Bass Barn sponsors. Also, if you know where any clam boats run out of, and can meet them back at the dock after a catch, you can often barter (beer, cigs, etc) for the freshes surf clams you can find.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts