BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is it better to use fresh clam rather than frozen? i had bought a large bag of clams at a reduced price, i schucked them myself, salted them and put them in my freezer, and i havent had any luck yet using them. maybe it is better to use fresh. any tips, suggestions?

·
Registered
56 Posts
let me see, your were cheap and bought bad clams- lets do the math together shall we, lets completely waste 10-20 bucks on some bad clams so we can buy our budweiser in the bottle instead of cans- orrr do we just spend a few extra bucks on fresh bait catch fish and celebrate with an old milwaukee.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Hey jim with a reply like that, you'd make one hell of a used car salesman! With that said..Montauk, You didn't say if your were surf or boat fishin, which clam are you using?. Some guys do preserve their bait as you did. And when you windup the line, was the bait still there? Just puttin a chunk of bait on a hook and dropping it in the water won't always catch fish. When we go fishin on my boat or any other, the person that smokes cigars is NOT allowed to touch/bait any hooks PERIOD. If you work with strong chemicals That's taboo also. There's a lot more.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fresh is always better than frozen because they are firm and stay on the hook. Some people salt their clams which are left over after fishing for the days the clam boats can not get out. Others like to salt fresh in the size they need for a trip. I think fresh corn has a great flavor but out of season I will eat frozen. Hope this helps you...ken

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ken, you'll eat anything fresh frozen ten days old and you had to scare the buzzards off it, ( that's for the phone bill joke) HaHaHa. Who's your buddy whose your pal. Talk to you later.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Lew your taken care of, I have to run for bait in the am but mike will be at Hand's Too and I'll be at Hand's on the afternoon shift and I'll be running in and out of The shops in the am.Good luck and catch um up, Thanks Tim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey jim how do you know my clams were bad? they actually were very fresh and i got them cheap because i'm in the restaurant business. lets meet up and i'll buy you a bag of clams and a case of budwieser bottles because i'm so cheap.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Damn,

If I bust your #@#@% will I get Dinner?? :D :D

Maybe the next time Jim should post some

Graemlins with his remarks :rolleyes: :D

Salting the bait helps to preserve it,shoudn't hurt the taste,however fresh is always best.

Nothing destroys a day of flukin like SUNTAN LOTION. Except Gasoline !!

·
Registered
56 Posts
dear mr montauk. in response to your offer, i would LOVE to meet up over a FRESH bag of reduced price clams, by the way i do sell used cars, unfortunately i did ***-u-ME that by your post (bought clams at a reduced price) that your clams were reduced in price for a reason. all my comments were made tongue-in-cheek and not meant to arrouse any negative feelings,however, i do not drink alcohol but maybe we could meet up anyway and i'll buy you a beer and some clams (at full price) and w'ell settle our score on the beach biggest fish takes all.By the way i vhold the world record with a 57 pound sea robin caught on reduced priced clams..seriously PEACE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.