BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just reading the thread about using scallops for bait and I agree that they probably would make a fine meal for a striper but you would be hard pressed to keep it on the hook. This made me remember a thought I had last year when I was making scungili over pasta with some fresh conch that I got from a frend of mine that fishes for them commercially. Those things are big and tough and would stay on your hook forever and they are so numerous in this area that I would think they may be a natural striper food source. Has anyone out there tried this, if not I'll be sure to give it a go this season and let you know.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
great tog baits....very tough...stays on the hook forever....always have some on hand..

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Lew'n
if they eat the darn things with the shell on- as I've seen in plenty of stripers' bellies, then they sure must like em with the shell off! Gotta call em in though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I catch conch commercially in the Delaware Bay in the fall, and have been known to stop and catch a few stripers before heading in, just for fun. Last fall I caught 28 croakers, a 23" striper and a 29" striper...all on the same piece of conch, on light tackle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Years ago in Brielle, on a boat called the Miss Tambo, we put a hutin' on tog & seabass with em.
Bergalls can't get them off. If it's in their bellies, I'll try them.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Originally posted by Lew'n aint easy:
I was making scungili over pasta with some fresh conch
Mmmmmmmmmm. Right on!! I may be willing to be hooked in the upper lip for a bowl of that.

Ok, time for lunch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Best way to make it is to take the meat out of the shell - notch out the guts out, pretty self explanitory once you see how the meat looks, - then you pop it in the freezer for 20 minutes to make it nice and firm, this way you can cut it real thin -- a meat slicer works real nice if you got one. season the meat with a little salt and pepper, then sautee it in a little olive oil and garlic. add some marinara to the pan and your lovin life.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Originally posted by Lew'n aint easy:
then you pop it in the freezer for 20 minutes to make it nice and firm, this way you can cut it real thin -- a meat slicer works real nice if you got one.
I'm already pretty anal about slicing garlic thin to maximize surface area so that fits right in with my logic. Thanks for such a simple and practical tip.

I guess the good thing is if you don't catch that day you can always eat your bait!

Can't say that for bunker. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts