BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there dabble in both??
Was wondering about the large mouth bite?
I know it becomes slow and mild with the cold weather, but anyone still getting action in lakes and ponds??
How about small mouth in the river and creeks?
Is there a generic guide(temp/ice) when the bite just stops completely?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
We catch large mouths straight through the winter, even if ice is present on a lake/pond.
I made my first freshwater trip last week and the crappies were schoolied up and hungry. The best fishing during the next few months will be for crappie, perch, and pickerel, but a few bass always sneak into the catch. Whatever you choose to fish for them has to be slow, jigging small twister tails or minnows works best for us.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by RedAtNight...:
Anyone out there dabble in both??
Was wondering about the large mouth bite?
I know it becomes slow and mild with the cold weather, but anyone still getting action in lakes and ponds??
How about small mouth in the river and creeks?
Is there a generic guide(temp/ice) when the bite just stops completely?
Thanks
this was a january or february bass. thought i was snagged, but then felt the fish...

i change from big purple worms to small purple worms :D

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Wow, we don't hear from Tom for a while then all of a sudden lots of pictures.
What are you wearing in that pic, a bathrobe? :D

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Red,
Don't Forget Sometime in Early 2005 We Should
Be Opening Up A FreshWater Forum Here On At
The Barn...

Stay Tuned....

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
In SJ the bite never stops. Some of my best (and only, it seems lately) LMB/pickerel days are when it's icy and snowing.

Go low and slow. A fat black/purple jig n' pig or jig n' worm works the best. Second best is a heavy spinnerbait with a trailer in the same color.

Barely crawl the jig over the bottom. Don't even hop it, just drag it along at a snail's pace with tiny jerks and pauses here and there. It's best to make multiple casts to known deep structures before moving on. By "multiple casts" I mean about 50 :D . In a local pond I fish one, and only one, submerged brush pile for the entire outing. LMB's school in the winter, so don't waste time searching. Pick your targets and work them to death.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Ice fishing season has started in the pocono mountains. Pickeral,perch,largemouth,brown trout etc. Very relaxing sport.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i'll be posting a pic soon, after i catch that state record pick. in Batsto. it has broken me off so fast and then water boils with the sign of a big pick. i'll get'em

like the boys said SLOW is the key. you can get away with lighter line b/c they just don't pull the same and you need the extra sensetivity.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
jrisapirate?? can you tell me where you fish in batsto??? i know that area but dont know of any place to fish for pickeral?? is it around rt538??
thanks

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
two places that i like, if you enter opposite the historic site or at Forks. there are many good pickerel spots though(you need a canoe)...you can catch some from the banks, perch and chain pick.

you can go in from Forks or a little further up river. if you go from Forks you can go two ways straight across there is a little cut. Both ends of the cut are good. stay right, if you go staight it is a dead end, never had much luck way up in there. inline spinners....switch it up gold/silver, orange w/yellow. i think b/c it looks like the yellow perch that are in there. if you go left from Forks i like to stay to the right. the river goes left and gets narrow and is over grown but you can go a long way if you go that way.. to the right, you can go up pretty far but it ends. start fishing the bank on the right as soon as you leave forks, there are many stumps in this section. when you pass the point on the right and the island in the middle, this is where the lillies get thick in the summer, i switch and fish the left side. a little further up it gets grassy and i like to fish the channel and the edge of the glass lines. you can also catch perch and crapie here. after i pass this point i like to fish the bends where there is a drop off or hole, fish the edge of the current. and depending on the tide i also fish the lagoons. if you've been back there you know what im talking about. some of by biggest have been in these shallows and usually there is a nice drop where they meet the channel. they also have a lot of vegitation in them. try a jointed rapala, or shad style. some kind of suspending diver.

i have some time off next week if you want to go one day, send me an email or pm. i can meet you out there. if not let me know how you make out..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts