BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on this forum do any freshwater fly fishing for the pickerel, bluegills, or yellow perch in the South Jersey ponds/lakes? I've heard this is a lot of fun on light tackle!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had also heard that streamers and poppers were commonly used. What size hooks would you recommend? And would you use the same size for all three species: pickerel, bluegill, yellow perch?

·
Registered
498 Posts
If I'm after pan fish I use poppers in hook size 6, 8 or 10. If I'm after bass then the poppers are bigger and hook sizes run 4 to 2/0 depending on the popper.

Regarding streamers match the size to the fish.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
i do it all the time.you can catch just about anything on a fly.i use small poppers or chartreuse nymphs for crappies,bluegills.black leech patterns or foam frogs for bass,i've had carp hit flies(all different ones).a good all around fish pattern is a black or olive size 8 wooly bugger.

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Thanks For The Info.

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
I often fish for pickeral and bass with a flyrod

Pickeral I use big flashy streamers
Bass I use anything that sits on top and makes noise (popper style)

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Black whooly buggers, black bunny zonkers, black deceivers, black clousers. All are killer in the cedar stained SJ ponds. Size them down for slabs and gills.

In clear sandwashes, go with gray or white. In green sandwashes/clay pits, go with chartruese, orange, or black.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was planning on tying some clousers, for targeting pickerel. I usually tie a light bottom, darker topside, with some flash in between. When doing the black clouser do you go totally black? What size hooks and what length do you suggest?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yup, all black. Or dark black on top and a slightly lighter black/dark gray on bottom. Use a longer shanked hook for picks, like a 3X+ streamer hook. For the same reason you would use a longer hook for blues. All black with bead-chain eyes usually works very well around drop offs and deep weed lines. You can get a nice slow hop. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to put on a mono weed guard, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts