BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After the disappointing saltwater trip this morning, I didn't feel like going out and working the incoming tide. Instead I decided to hit the freshwater. Got to lake about 5:00pm and caught a nice crabbie on the first cast,.using a flashy baitfish pattern. Within a few casts later I had another nice crappe and a small pickerel.

It really turned out to be a great evening of fishing. Ended up with 8 all real nice size crappie, 4 small pickerel, 2 largemouth that were caught on baitfish patterns on both intermediate and floating line, plus 6 nice size sunfish that took a bead head fly on floating line.

Best fresh water fishing that I have had in awhile and caught them at about 7 different areas of the lake. Even saw on nice largemouth (about 5 lbs) follow up behind one of the sunfish. Headed for home around 8:30 as it was getting pretty foggy.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You did better than I did, Ray. Drove three hours north to a couple of lakes in the Delaware State forest. Hiked 1.5 miles into the first lake with three friends. They were't fly fishing. They caught a couple of pickerel then hiked another mile to the second lake. I had hiked enough so I stayed at the first lake. It was windy and chilly. It took me a while but I finally found a fly they liked a shad pattern(Hoo Fly). I hooked two pickerel but lost them then lost the fly. I switched to a sunfish version of the fly and caught one. Looks like I should've hiked to the second lake, they caught about two dozen very large crappie plus a couple of more pickerel. I'm looking forward to the CFR reunion next week to see if the Hoo flies work as well there. To add insult to injury got home and found that the black flies had chowed down on the back of my ear and ear lobe.

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am lucky to have good fishing fairly close by. Who fly caught the two bass a couple of the pickerel and crappies.

Starting to get warm here and we are seeing the first bugs of the season gnats were starting last night. Will not make the CFR reunion next week. I will be racing remote control sailboats down in the Chesapeake

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Like to see the ol' metal loop knot in action. Good looking fish!

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dave, you know me I love the metalic loop knot and I never leave home without it.

Seems like any bait fish pattern that has flash works well. About a year or so ago I had some small baby bunker patterns that were blue/silver flash (more of a saltwater color) and they caught just as well.

·
Registered
13,766 Posts
I guess having hungry fish around helps too :)... I always forget the metallic loop

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Good for you Ray. Nice "small" {:) striper.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Finally into the fish. Feels good to get the 5wt in action again. From earlier this week. Found a nice quiet spot not far from my house to practice nymphing. I am very out of practice, especially when it comes to roll casting in tight quarters. I lost more flies than I care to admit, but eventually I got the hang of it again. This river gets a lot bigger down by the bay, but I like the small creek feel in the woods only a few miles upstream from the brine. There are even spots with rocky riffles and gravel bars. Almost feels like another creek in Monmouth County that Rob knew well, separated by 120 miles. I didn't know creeks with this bottom structure/flow pattern existed in this area of SJ, but here we go...

View attachment 138033

I think this is an imposter brown trout. They like to give us the "less than ideal" hatchery fish here in SJ. I caught another one and it looked exactly the same.
View attachment 138041

The native creek chubs had better color. Towards sunset I was catching them on every cast. After the 9th fish on the 9th cast the giddy fun wears off. I never realized we had these around here. I only ever saw these up in North Jersey rivers. They ranged in size from this tiny one to a few the size of the trout.

View attachment 138049

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
It sure reminded me of the Hock, your old stomping grounds. Our brookies are usually black, and our brownies look sickly. Sometimes the rainbows can be decent in the fall stockings, but our spring fish are usually ugly. They don't fight the way they look, though (which is good), but I do believe they save the better fish for up north. Especially this year with the tough year Pequest had, I think we got the bottom barrel trout. I got a few more in my local pond back in April and the brownies looked the same. No deep copper color, only a faint brown with dull spots. Oh well, I guess we make up for it by having beautiful specks and reds in our back bays... :)

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Well done. Water looks REALLY good. Found something I liked in Cumberland county that looked very similar. & yes I know what you mean by "fake" brown. However they are a trout & they do take flies. Continue to enjoy. Few more weeks & then trout streams in Colorado.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Yep, a trout is a trout, especially on a nice little stream with no one around. I always have an affinity for the little, less than known creeks. There are few decent streams in this county, and plenty of people fish this one, but I never explored it enough and never thought very much of it. I've been fishing it for years but only in one spot and never thought about bushwhacking a bit to get to better water. I am now changing my opinion of this place. I sure hope they hold over long enough for me to do more serious exploration this spring/summer. I'd like to see how well they do rising to terrestrials, if the water doesn't get too hot too soon. I wanted to hit it again this weekend, but the big rain we got today will likely wash it out to mud brown for days. Oh well.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ray:
Some pictures from the CFR reunion. Had a good day on the lake. I always knew there were some decent bass in that lake. Hooked four landed three plus one decent pickerel.

13 inches

Fish Bass Fish Trout Perch

15-16 inches
Fish Bass Fish Perch Trout

about 18 inches
Recreational fishing Wildlife biologist Fishing Trout Recreation

The third bass was about the size of the pickerel but I didn't get a picture of it.

Caught the two larger bass on this

Artificial fly Fishing lure Tail Bait

and the smaller one on this one

Orange

the pickerel took a top water

A fun day

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spring is a much better time to fish that lake then when we usually fish it. Looks like you caught on a variety of flies and had a fun time. I like that sunfish pattern. It looks like it would catch everything. Hope the ladies got some fish too.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I like that sunfish pattern for the fall retreat. Last year at the retreat, my partner and I were fishing on the left side of the dock. About every 15 or 20 minutes a bass would blitz in from under the dock or deeper water and take a swipe at the sunfish. Not sure the ladies did. I was showing one of the ladies' husband the ropes, but he didn't have waders so he got to watch me catch the fish. I know Peter got a bass between 16 and 18 inches. I'm going to post my pictures up on the club's web site today sometime. Club's definitely planning on having another reunion next year.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Got out some more this week. After I got some more trout-looking browns in the creek (better coloration than before), my son got his first fly rod caught fish, all by himself. Now he wants to go to "the big fishing store" to get his own rod. Currently lacking in available funds, I think for now he will be using my stuff. :) Glad to see he likes the whippy stick. When he picked up his snoopy rod, he complained it was "so heavy". I guess compared to the St Croix 2 wt, anything would feel clunky.

View attachment 139369

View attachment 139377

View attachment 139385

View attachment 139393

·
Registered
7,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice pictures, and great to have a young fishing buddy to take along and watch his excitement when catching. Glad you are back out on the water.

Got my 4 year old grandson coming down for the weekend and hope to take him to local pond for first try with sunfish. Plan on doing the dig the worms, pack a snack and hopefully he will last 1/2 hour before wanting to do something else.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts