BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you sweetwater guys---- Recently I've been fishing a SJ lake for bass....this lake has a lot of dense reeds/grass where the fish congregate, and I've had most of my success pitching Senkos into dense cover....I use 12# test line, and manage to have a lot of break-offs when fishing this weedy structure...I want to spool my reels with higher # test (smaller spinning reels---Daiwa, Shimano), but have found that heavier line just doesn't lay right on the reel (and doesn't cast well either)....Should I switch to a baitcasting reel (never owned a freshwater one before) to accommadate heavier line, or is there a trick to spooling say 15 or 20# test mono on smaller spinning reels???Also---what about braided line for freshwater fishing in clear water-----anyone have success/do you use a leader with braided in freshwater????? Any advice appreciated-------Mike

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I fish for bass here in PA same way you do, with tubes and Sencos. I use a spinning reel that holds 240 yds of 8lb mono that I spooled with braided. Works great. No leader unless really open water and crystal clear. Also have a baitcast reel with 20 lb mono. that I also use. You can pick a decent baitcast reel up at a local "Mart" for $25 or so.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'd say try a braid with a flouro or mono leader if you're worried about visibility, but I don't think it'll make a difference in dense reeds like you said you're fishing.

[ 09-28-2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Clamboni ]

·
Registered
452 Posts
Try power pro, you'll be able to feel the tic tic of a bass bite better, and it has a thinner diameter then mono. It's braided, but you can use a flouracarbon leader.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Try braided with some florocarbon it's ok in cedar water. the braided is smaller dia. and tougher or maybe change the maker of the mono.
12lb. is pretty heavy assuming your using ultra light gear.

·
Registered
394 Posts
don't you guys find that braided line doesn't sink to well worming? i use braid for all my saltwater fishing so i spooled up one of my frshwater reels with PP. the line seemed to lay across the water like an upside down L... i just couldn't seem to get the right action.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I don't like braid at all on spinning tackle. Try Yo Zuri Hybrid or spiderwire stealth. The stealth has teflon in it so it doesn't dig into the spool. Definitely use a short lenght of flourocarbon if using braid. I know some bass fisherman that go to 25 lb big game in the thick stuff.

[ 09-28-2004, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: leedz49 ]

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, beachboy is right....I actually tried out one of my saltwater setups with 30# braided during one of my last trips.....didn't like the way the line sunk in the water, but was wondering if smaller diameter braided would work better? Also, what brand of baitcaster reel would you recommend to spool with 20# mono? thank for the input so far------Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts