BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Librarian, I have spoken to Jeff and we are not sure exactly what kind of club we will have. Our first meeting is not until mid- February. We are looking to get feedback from kayakfishermen as to what they would like. I do know that Jeff has been in contact with other kayak bass fishing clubs in other parts of the country to see how they are doing things. He has info on how to run tournaments. I am interested in teaching and introducing others to our sport. Contact Jeff if you have any interest. Thanks. Tom.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'm thinking of looking into the club. I live in Pa, but usually get a NJ freshwater license.

The only problem I see with the tournaments, is how to you keep your catch without a livewell?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
akozols,

What they normally do for kayak tournaments is to take pictures of the fish against a ruler with a unique token (given to the angler the day of the tournament to show that the picture was not a fish caught during another tournament or fishing trip) and immediately released. The camera is then given to the tournament director to be compared with our pictures to determine the winner. Therefore, no need for a live well.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
akozols,

What they normally do for kayak tournaments is to take pictures of the fish against a ruler with a unique token (given to the angler the day of the tournament to show that the picture was not a fish caught during another tournament or fishing trip) and immediately released. The camera is then given to the tournament director to be compared with our pictures to determine the winner. Therefore, no need for a live well.

That's a good idea. I like to return the fish to the area that they were caught in. I'm keeping Feb 18th open for the meeting.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Librarian. I have read Chad's book and it is great! I had a chance to meet and fish with him last November on the Susquehanna River. He is quite a character!!! Barrel. I will pass on your offer to Jeff Shaw. Thank you for your support! Something I am interested in is speaking to groups at open houses / paddle days about kayak bass fishing. I would like to represent the club as well as get others interested in kayak bass fishing. If I can help at your store, please let me know. Thanks again! Tom.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sandwashslugger. I have not been involved in any fishing clubs either. Jeff Shaw is looking for kayakers that like to fish for freshwater bass. I got in touch with him and the ideas he presented sound great. The meeting in February is to see what other kayak fishermen want from a club; be it informal / social or more formal and include tournaments, etc... We will be freshwater oriented. It seems that there is another "Coastal kayak fishing" club in the works as well. If you are at all interested in freshwater kayak fishing, please try to make the first meeting and give your imput as to what you would like a club be. Thanks! Tom.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sandwasherslugger, you are just the kind of guy that we would like to see at the meeting. I love kayak bass fishing just like you and I want to see what we can do to increase or fun and help our sport grow. Here are a few I got from my kayak this past year...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I marked the date down. Picked up a outback last spring and had a ball fishing with it. :thumbsup: Did real well with freshwater as my job shifts are great for early mornings. Also I like the sounds of that coastal club too as I fished Brigantine and ocean city too.Fishing as a group would make it better and safer as I went at all hours.:nuts:Looking forward to meeting some of you guys at the meeting.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Capt. Camo. I'm glad you are going to make the meeting and I am looking forward to meeting you. We want to concentrate on bass fishing, including tournaments, education, trips, etc. It should be a great way to meet other kayak anglers to fish with. If anyone else has any interest in kayak fishing for bass, please try to attend our first meeting and voice your opinions. Thanks. Tom.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
What areas are you guys thinking of fishing? I dont' think my club's going to work out for me this year and I might be interested. Might have someone else too.

I think it would be really cool to see it at some lakes that aren't accessible to trailerable boats but still big enough to not get too crowded.

Coastal club sounds interesting to me too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds good

This sounds like something I might be interested in. I bought a 14.5 Native Ultimate last year and so far I'm loving it in freshwater. Its ok in backbays but I really prefer freshwater bass fishing. Last year I was fishing all by myself which is ok but there were times when I wish I had someone to talk to.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Clamboni and Marek313, we are not committed to any lakes as yet, but want to get as much responses / requests as we can. I believe, like the both of you, that we could fish lakes that would be difficult if not impossible for bass boats to fish. I have been speaking to Jeff quite a bit, and we agree that we want this club to be FUN first. I am intersted in the educational side of things, both for our members and those who have not yet discovered kayak bass fishing. I have never fished a bass tournament, but it sounds like a kayak bass tourney could be a lot of fun. Please come to the meeting on February 18th and help us decide what we can do. Thanks and I hope to meet both of you!
Tom.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.