BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes we have stripers in Hunterdon County. Went 4 for 4 last night on hybrids. We ran out of herring so I trolled thundersticks during the magic hours and nailed a 8 1/2 lber on 6 lb test.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Nice! I wanted to fish Elphant Butte lake when I spent a summer in New Mexico - never got around to it. The state record was over 50 lbs! - found it 54.8!

[ 07-20-2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Brian E. Mullaney ]

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy $#@$!!!! Our record is only 16 lbs. Biggest I have gotten outta SR is 11.5. Notice how they don't get longer they get wider.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I don't think that's a hybrid striper. I'm pretty sure don't get that large. A 16lb wiper will pull the rod out of your hands. I can't imagine what a 50lber would do! The one in the pic is just a landlocked "normal" striper. Still pretty fat for a freshwater fish. Probably got that fat eating all those stocked trout! :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought so, but the lines looked a little broken towards the belly on that one. Wasn't sure. A 50 lb hybrid would be a reels worst nightmare. Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear one of the best places for landlocks is lake Texoma on the Texas and Oklahoma border. They fish with these big coyote flys, which are big lead headed clousers with a spinner blade on the front.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Hey Brian ,

I fished Elephant Butte manny times, that was my home lake when i lived in NM manny years ago, like 78-79.
They say it will produce the next world record from fresh or salt :eek:

Did you ever see the rams that wonder around the Butte itself...? Awesome sight.

As far as i know the Butte only has pure stripers and not hybrids. There are some huge white bass in there though.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it takes a test tube to make a hybrid. The scenery at that lake looks awesome. I could see how rams would be on those sharp bluffs.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Yea i guess it does, LOL
Sceenery is awesome High desert rite to the water line. Bluffs all over with the biggest one being being rite in the middle of the lake , thats Elephant Butte itself.
Lotsa other things to catch too.

[ 07-23-2004, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: In Depth ]

·
Registered
782 Posts
Speaking of sweetwater, I picked up 2 trout on the Wissahickon last night. There are still fish on the creek, but you have to work, assuming the 2 in my belly were not the last. :D

I am told by DCNR there are fair numbers of wipers and stripers in Lake Nockamixon by Quakertown feeding on gizzard shad at night. Anybody have any experiences? The lake also holds muskies, picks, bass and cats if anyone is interested.

Back on the west topic, I had a guided trip on Lake Powell outside Vegas a few years back. Amazing boiling on the water, smaller fish, but we casted topwaters all day long and hooked up almost every cast. It was a great time watching them smack the lures. If you ever get the chance it's worth it for the experience.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I also read where the tailwaters of the Hoover Dam has huge stripers in it.30-40 pounders caught on top with poppers!

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
When I was out to Vegas last I took a ride to the Hoover and Lake Mead.

We fed 10-15 pound stripers right off of a dock on the way down. Unbelievable

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Sunnydaze, Fish Nockamixon all the time. I live 10 min. from it. Fishing is very hard there due to the warm water and tremendous amounts of baitfish. The fish are always feeding on baitfish so it is hard to get a bite. Once in a while someone gets lucky and finds a hungry one. Have seen 15-18 lbers. feeding on bait but won't take a hook.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You know what, I goofed, IT WAS Lake Mead, not Powell, that's where we camped on a house boat, my bad. Now I remember the dam and the intake towers and at the marina we fed the sucker fish on those floating docks. ReadJettyGo, I saw a huge one that filled the length of those top opening coca-cola freezers at the tackle shop. That's exactly where they said it came from, but they said it was hit or miss on the river vs. basically guaranteed fish on the lake and I wanted to catch.

ihunt49, I fish there often, but I agree it's tough, I settle for catching a buzz there many days. Have had some luck catching in the areas where the two sides of the lake feed in by the dam. Also read about a bunch of bass being caught during the week when it's quiet. http://just4thought.com/fishingreports/
We tried to hunt deer there last year and it was a madhouse. We're heading towards the NY border instead this year. Saddly, there was a tragic accident there this year where 2 duck hunters flipped their canoe in frigid weather. Then a few months ago, a top angler that wins many of the tournaments, fishes saturday wins the tourney and dies in a motorcycle accident later that day. Makes you take time to appreciate every moment.

[ 07-24-2004, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: sunnydaze ]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Sunnydaze, Hunting there is tough also. We go up to the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Lots of land to hunt, state land also. You have to do a little scouting to find yourself a nice quiet place, but it's worth the time. Alot of deer and bear around there!! Email me if you want some tips and directions.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Sunnydaze, Hunting there is tough also. We go up to the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Lots of land to hunt, state land also. You have to do a little scouting to find yourself a nice quiet place, but it's worth the time. Alot of deer and bear around there!! Email me if you want some tips and directions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.