BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled up to the gas dock the other day and the guage said 1/4 tank. (20 gals approx) Put 25 gals in and the guage didn't budge. Sooooo due to this anamoly, I added another 25 gals to be sure I don't ruin my "never been towed" record. ;-) Guage still didn't move. So got underway and about ten minutes later it now registered "full" or near full. The rest of the day it worked intermittantly. At one point, it registered empty.

Question; What am I looking at? Bad guage, bad sending unit, or loose wire? Planning to check the wires at the sending unit, but wondering how to eliminate the guage as the problem.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
having the same problem, spent several hours last night trying to figure ours out.bb

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
What type of gauge do you have, analog or digital ?
I have a yamaha guage, which reads in a digital mode. The bars that go up or down to indicate full, 1/2 or 1/4 do not move move as fast as I use my fuel, so I installed a fuel management system just to be safe.
I ran my first fillup down to 50 gals on the fuel management system and compared it to my guage. Th guage was reading 3/4 full.
I had gone thru all the test as you did, sender, wiring etc.
Hope it's nothing major.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Phil,
Have you checked the voltage on the gauge?
The only reason I ask is that Mine gauge blew today. Maybe it is a moderator curse. LOL

I tested all the connections and the gauge is bad. I looked for a digital fuel gauge, but did not find one, short of a all in one unit from Yamaha. Bad thing is that I have a Evinrude. :D

Ebay has Teleflex 2 inch fuel gauges for about 20 bucks.

Want to get a two'fer deal?

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an analog guage. I'm gonna' check the wires next time down. Jason, might have to go the route with you.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
TWIN D'S said:
I have an analog guage. I'm gonna' check the wires next time down. Jason, might have to go the route with you.
First, sniff for any fuel vapors.
There should be a single wire going to the sender plus a ground wire. Disconnect the sender wire at the tank. The gauge will either peg high or low depending on the gauge brand.
Short the wire to the ground wire. The gauge wil peg the other way.
Your symptoms sounds like a bad sender. Relatively easy to replace if accessable. Follow the instructions on the new sender. You need to be sure the new float arm does not hit an internal tank baffle. And no sparks while the sender is out!

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
High Wire said:
First, sniff for any fuel vapors.
There should be a single wire going to the sender plus a ground wire. Disconnect the sender wire at the tank. The gauge will either peg high or low depending on the gauge brand.
Short the wire to the ground wire. The gauge wil peg the other way.
Your symptoms sounds like a bad sender. Relatively easy to replace if accessable. Follow the instructions on the new sender. You need to be sure the new float arm does not hit an internal tank baffle. And no sparks while the sender is out!
thanks Archie. Don't worry, when I begin to take the sender out, the batteries will be off. I would guess sending units are for particular gas tanks, due to different shapes and sizes.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
check your ground wire at the tank.

these sending units work like a variable resistor. If the connections are not clean and tight on both ends you can get different resistance leading to false readings. If the connections are good, suspect the sending unit in the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts