BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been awaiting the arrival of our new fuel injector flow bench and its finally here. This piece of equipment gives us the ability to clean,service,and flow almost any type of fuel injector and some direct injectors. With the every increasing fuel issues and the rising cost of fuel injectors,this will give you the benefit of salvaging your fuel injectors at a fraction of the cost of new. Just for instance we had a engine come in the other day that was only running on two out of four cylinders. After trouble shooting and realizing it was an injector issue , the injectors were remove and cleaned with the flow bench and brought back to within 2% flow of each other. To replace the injectors with new they were $ 173.00 a piece. We were able to clean and service all four used injectors for under $ 90.00 . If we would have installed two new injectors they would have been over $340.00. This machine will give us the ability to reduce downtime, while we use to have to send them out, between shipping and cleaning time it almost became a two week ordeal, now it is just hours. This will be a service we will offer to customers, dealers and weekend mechanics.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
flukin nuts said:
pretty cool toy.
It is actually really neat ,I have taken injectors out of junk engines that have sat for over 5 years and you would not believe the difference in flow and flow patterns start to finish. Once you do a starting test on flow and realize you have a flow deficiency, you can proceed to ultrasonically clean the injector and then back flush it to its original flow rate and pattern. On really bad injectors it takes a few rounds in the ultrasonic bath to get them at a 100 percent. After the cleaning process each injector is electrically tested under a load to verify resistance under a loaded condition. I have even taken newer engines and actually flow tested injectors and matched them to make unbelievable differences in idle characteristics. We can also flow match them for performance applications also.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same basic machine car dealers use and call it "Upper Combustion Chamber Cleaning"? Basically a decarboning for the injectors and the combustion chambers??

If so, it's good to see this type of machine finally being adapted to outboard use.

Decarboning DFI 2 strokes and 4 stroke engines is tough because of the small amounts of fuel burnt at idling rpms.

Dean, what is the chemical that is fead thru the fuel system and injectors?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dunk said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same basic machine car dealers use and call it "Upper Combustion Chamber Cleaning"? Basically a decarboning for the injectors and the combustion chambers??

If so, it's good to see this type of machine finally being adapted to outboard use.

Decarboning DFI 2 strokes and 4 stroke engines is tough because of the small amounts of fuel burnt at idling rpms.

Dean, what is the chemical that is fead thru the fuel system and injectors?
Hi Dunk

This machine is no where near what a car dealer would use, what you are referring to is a chemical cleaning of the injector and fuel system,which is not actually a good way to clean fuel systems ,injectors and rails. A chemical cleaning cleans the fuel system, but all of the contaminates will end up in the injectors filter and restrict fuel to the injector. Also with lesser expensive systems you have no way of checking the amount of flow after cleaning and third all the chemicals and cleaning agents that they use are known carcinogens and are super bad for the environment.
This flow bench measures the amount of flow in ML and has the ability to do various flow test at different rpms and also adj the Milli seconds in the amount of time the injector stays closed or open. You can also perform a load test for leaking injectors. All of this is visible if front of you so you are able to view spray patterns,drips,and flow restrictions. The heptane that is flowed thru the injectors is not for cleanings, its to measure the amount of flow at different rates and to view spray patterns. When the injector is deemed to have flow issues it is then removed from the machine and then inserted in an ultrasonic cleaner with soap and water. While the heated ultra sonic cleaner is on, the computer is controlling the windings in the injector at different rate to allow the ultra sonic waves to enter the pintle area so the cleaning can take effect. After this the injectors are connected to the computer and held open which gives you the ability to flow solution back wards thru the injector to clean the internal filter and pintil area of contamination. After they are cleaned they are remounted in the flow bench and then checked for consistency between injectors for rate and pattern at different speeds from idle to 10000 rpms and from .1 to 7 milliseconds of open and close time.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Just a quick? I have a set of 150 hpdi's.....
I don't notice any issues but the engines have 850 hours on them...
Is there a test I can run with my yamaha yds to see they are performing ok?
What would it cost if I dropped you off the 12 injectors to test them?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aj bruno said:
Just a quick? I have a set of 150 hpdi's.....
I don't notice any issues but the engines have 850 hours on them...
Is there a test I can run with my Yamaha yds to see they are performing ok?
What would it cost if I dropped you off the 12 injectors to test them?
The HPDI injector is one of the few that we can not bench test yet ,due to the pressure that it takes to flow the injector. I have already started working on finding a pump and making the adapters to be able to flow the injectors for that engine. As soon as I have the system set up for those injectors I will let you know. The one thing we actually can do with that injector is hold in the full on position and clean it in the ultrasonic cleaner. We would just not be able to verify flow yet. If you wanted to drop them off I will do it for free, Normally injectors flowed and cleaned will range from $16.00 to $35.00 each

As for looking at YDS ,you can perform a cylinder drop test and verify each cylinder drops out about the same amount of rpms. One of the most important items would be to see if there are any fuel pressure codes and to verify fuel pressure under a load. I have found clogged or restricted fuel systems to be a major cause of engine failures on HPDI engines. Its also a good idea to verify TPS settings and visually verify oil pump link rod synchronization.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
barnaclebillsmarine said:
Looks like a nice machine. You need to make it service the Ficht injector and we will send all our injectors to you rather then DFI Tech.
I am hoping by the end of summer I will have the capability to flow all of Evinrudes DI injectors. I recieved are machine later then expected ,and we are into our busy season as you know. I started to build the adapters and have not had the time to finish. I will let you know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts