BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I've got a 2000 Johnson 150 outboard that runs fine, starts reliably without any problems in ten years. Over those 10 years, I've maintained it by changing the lower unit oil yearly, water pump every 2 years and plugs every year or two. Fog it once a year to winterize it.

Is there something I should be doing that would cause it give off fuel vapors while drifting. It has 6 carburators, NOT Fuel Injection. I heard that by tilting the motor to trailer it could cause the floats to stick????:huh:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Why do you think it's coming from the engine? Take a sniff on ALL of the fuel lines. Alchohol in fuel is a fuel line killer and shorthen their useful life.

Also, have you looked at your fuel fill and vent hoses from the tank?
Open a hatch and stick your nose in the bilge if you have not done so.

Replacing the last few feet with the primer bulb should be a regular maintenance task IMO.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bayhunter

If I cover the engine with a wet towel, it reduces the smell.

How often would you replace the primer bulb?

There are times when I see the fuel on the water around the engine, but it's minimal

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just me talking but I replace the bulb assembly and the silver looking fuel lines they are attached to every season. These lines will delaminate from inside with no visible external evidence. Spend the money and buy factory replacements IMO.

There are also fuel hoses on the engine itself that need to be inspected frequently.

The alchohol in fuel eats rubber compounds, and exposure to UV accelerates the process.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
When you stop the engine is hot, and all coolant flow stops. You probably have a form of "heat soak". Basically the fuel left in the carb bowls is boiling off.

I am not familiar with the fuel vent system on those carbs but take a look.... I think you might have a vapor separator and/or re-circulation system that is failing. Make sure the vent hoses are not clogged or broken. Try to let the engine idle for at least a minute after coming to a stop to cool the engine a little after a hard run too.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
If you smell gas that is not coming from the tank vent, then you have a leak. Pull the engine cowl and look for wet spots. It might only be a drop per minute, but thats enough to start a ripping fire.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
If you smell gas that is not coming from the tank vent, then you have a leak. Pull the engine cowl and look for wet spots. It might only be a drop per minute, but thats enough to start a ripping fire.

If you smell gas you have a leak and fumes. All you need is a spark and you'll have big problems then. Make sure your fire-x is up to date. Maybe get a second one. Make sure your insurance is up to date and worth the $ so you can get a new boat after this one burns. Make sure you have a VHF that's portable since power may go out in a fire. Sea tow for hull recovery. Maybe some nomex overalls wouldn't hurt either.

All-in all its probably cheaper and easier to just find the problem and fix it.
you shouldn't smell gas...the only time I smell it is when I fuel up.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
We were getting an intermitant fuel smell the year before last.....seemed like it got worse each time we fueled up, and when we were drifting.....turns out we were VERY lucky because we had a few spots where the aluminum fuel tank had corroded completely through.....glad we had it fixed the right way.

·
Registered
537 Posts
We were getting an intermitant fuel smell the year before last.....seemed like it got worse each time we fueled up, and when we were drifting.....turns out we were VERY lucky because we had a few spots where the aluminum fuel tank had corroded completely through.....glad we had it fixed the right way.

In my case I had gas in the bilge and found that the fuel fill and vent were both rotted. PITA but easier and cheaper than a new tank. The life of those hoses is 10 years max by design.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys

All good suggestions, I'll check them all before I launch in the spring........:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts