·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start this project , hopefully this weekend
I plan on emptying the remaining fuel & removing the center console this week
& then move on to removing the tank. Does anyone know if there is a product
that I can pour on to melt the foam that would be safe. I have read what seams
like a million posts from the Mako Owners website, & the foam removal seams to vary
from boat to boat
Any help or info that anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated,
In the mean time my Kayak is ready to hit the creeks for crab & perch

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
493 Posts
I used a Japanese wood saw and long skinny pry bars to remove as much foam around tank as possible then popped it out with a come along. I don’t recommend using a pressure washer or chemicals. My tank replacement is documented on classicmako. Search for surfishjoe Mako 21.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found this in a post to remove the 2 part foam
FGCI-Fiber Glass Coating Inc
B-2000 resin cleaner to melt the foam
A guy on the Mako site was raving about it
I was thinking about using Acetone, but this stuff might be the answer
It's about $50 per Gal

·
Registered
493 Posts
The bottom of the tank coffin has holes that access the inner structural hull foam, if it isn’t already soaked I wouldn’t pour anything in the coffin, unless you plan on removing coffin and digging out all the foam and replacing.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK
I wasn't aware that the coffin had holes in it, I was just looking for the easiest way to get the tank out
Thanks for replying it will probably save me a mess
Another question,
Once I dig out the foam from the sides How do I get a strap under the tank to use a come-a-long
to pressure the tank up
Thanks again in advance

·
Registered
13,764 Posts
OK
I wasn't aware that the coffin had holes in it, I was just looking for the easiest way to get the tank out
Thanks for replying it will probably save me a mess
Another question,
Once I dig out the foam from the sides How do I get a strap under the tank to use a come-a-long
to pressure the tank up
Thanks again in advance

If you watched the video, they hammered wedges under the tank to lift it up.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you watched the video, they hammered wedges under the tank to lift it up.
That is a different size boat with 2 tanks. Mine has 1 tank & after I dig the foam out from around the tank I will have approximately 2 inches between the tank & coffin, if I don’t intend to cut the coffin how do you expect me to hammer wedges under the tank

·
Registered
13,764 Posts
That is a different size boat with 2 tanks. Mine has 1 tank & after I dig the foam out from around the tank I will have approximately 2 inches between the tank & coffin, if I don’t intend to cut the coffin how do you expect me to hammer wedges under the tank
Didn't realize that. How about drilling or cutting two large holes in the top of the fuel tank and and run the strap through the holes and then lift the tank out.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Once you access the tank and dig out the foam use a floor jack set on heavy lumber across the gunnels and a strap. There should be lifting tabs on the tank. As a last resort you could cut a couple holes. Be shore to drain the fuel out ( I siphoned it and got a nice mouthful of gas) and maybe throw soapy water in if your going to cut. I ended up cutting the coffin out and dug out all the foam forward, aft, and under coffin. I replaced with 2 part expanding foam and reglassed coffin in. Replace all hoses and any wiring while in there as well. I used patriot tanks and had it coal tar epoxy coated.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
I would be careful about cutting a hole there due to the fumes but i would remove the sending unit then get a block of wood ( that will fit ) in the sending unit hole with a rope or strap around it then attach the come-a-long and jack it out i am sure someone will have to give you a hand to hold tension on the wood and strap till you get tension on it

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I plan on putting a couple 8x8's across the gunnels, then jacking it out, I still don't know how I'm going to get a strap under the tank
I'm trying not to drill holes in the tank but if I do I'll be filling it up with soapy water first, it's only a 44 gal tank
I do appreciate all the advice , if I do decide to cut the coffin , the wedges do look the easiest, but I'm trying to avoid the extra
fiberglass work
Again thanks for all the ideas

·
Registered
74,377 Posts
Once you access the tank and dig out the foam use a floor jack set on heavy lumber across the gunnels and a strap. There should be lifting tabs on the tank. As a last resort you could cut a couple holes. Be shore to drain the fuel out ( I siphoned it and got a nice mouthful of gas) and maybe throw soapy water in if your going to cut. I ended up cutting the coffin out and dug out all the foam forward, aft, and under coffin. I replaced with 2 part expanding foam and reglassed coffin in. Replace all hoses and any wiring while in there as well. I used patriot tanks and had it coal tar epoxy coated.
Paul the owner has built several tanks for me. Next time we talk I'll tell you about a Grady tank issue he fixed for me.
BTW - his welds are almost perfect:thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts