BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read and heard a few things about a full moon negatively affecting the daytime striper bite. Is that true?

I plan on doing a striper trip in late October, but it will be a day or two before the full moon. Just wanted to see what others thought about lunar effects.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Daytime bite? I don't know about that, unless the tide height somehow screws up the area you're fishing. For nightime, yes, as it's a spotlight up there. Pretty much once the fall run gets going, you'll find fish all day and night long, regardless of the moon.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
The full moon can be advantageous for several reasons. Bait movements out of the inlets are associated with full and new moon periods. Full moon periods are associated with less ebb times, so the time with no drift is less. Full moons also create some great rips to fish on. The downside of full moons is that they cause the current to really rip, which can be disadvantageous if the wind is blowing hard against the tide (roughens up the seas) or with the tide (it can make the drift over 2 knots some days). Sometimes too the strong currents can lift the silt off the bottom and dirty up the water.
All in all, though, I find the full moon periods to be very productive! These fish were caught last year on one of those days:

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
For the backwater I hate it. Too much light and too much tide. Seems to really shut down the back night bite. Fish can be caught. Im not saying they cant...it just seems a little tougher IMO.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
The tide speeds up 5 days on either side of the full moon, and I think that will help you. I've always had good fishing windows around the October full moon, but you go when you can, so quit wishin' and go fishin'! ;)

·
Registered
16,419 Posts
In the Dbay & CM Rips, only effect I've seen the full moon have is dirtying up the water due to stronger currents. When this happens, I look for cleaner water which you'll usually find in the deeper water rips and shaols out around the channel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.