BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, after lots of trial and error, i've figured out the mystery of furled leaders. once you get it, it's pretty easy to do. i have to thank sparse's friend "buttonwood" bob for his help and guidance via email.

these things are sweet. they are made using 4 lb. mono, which tapers from 72 lbs. at the butt end, down to 24 lbs. at the tip. both ends get whipped loops, so that it's easy to attach to your fly line, and to the bite or shock leader. at the tip section, you just loop on whatever you want as the bite leader, and you're fishing. these leaders are very limp, and are said to turn over a fly very easily.

if you're interested in learning how to make them, we will be showing it at the july SJCFA meeting.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Way to go Joe. Knew you could do it, & knew you would like them. I use them exclusively (almost). Maybe you should plan on meeting Buttonwood next year at PTVI. Lets talk.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Thanks Joe, Glad you got process all worked out. It will be great for everyone to see at our next meeting. I want to see what this is all about. I keep hearing good things and there is nothing like seeing it first hand.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Doyle,
Checked out the leader you made for me. Looks pretty cool. Can't wait to try it out. I'll make sure to only use it in open water conditions (with a distinct lack of bluefish), where there is absolutely NO chance for me to lose it!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave, use it and abuse it. I want to see how they'll hold up under normal conditions. Don't baby it by any means. Just make sure to loop a small piece of leader to it, and you're set.

Once you guys see how limp these leaders are, and hopefully hear some first hand reports of how they work, you'll be able to crank them out yourselves in no time. I invested all of about 20 minutes in building the jig, and a couple of hours learning to do the leaders myself. However, once I figured it out, they now only take about 10 minutes, and the leader should last an entire season.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Doyle, I'm looking forward to seeing the furled leader program. I was in Cape Cod a couple of weeks ago with Reggie, Jim Evans and a couple others. I was given a furled leader to use and it lasted til the 4th day when a couple of large angry bluefish shredded it. It was a pleasure to fish with - anything from Bangers to small stuff - no problems. Jim has a jig and has made a few and they look good. If you need any help with the program I'm sure he'd be glad to pitch in.

Dave

ps do you have the plans for the OD18 yet - I have them and will probably not ever build it - let me know I'll bring them to the meeting.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've got one furled leader that's going on 5 years old now. In fresh water, with care you can get at least 2 seasons if not more out of a furled leader made from tying thread. Figure those made out of mono should last at least that long. Dave, not sure how long Doyle made his. The ones I have run from 5 to 9 feet and I usually fish a 3 to 5 foot piece of tippet material with them.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Doyle, how long is the leader you made for me? 5ft or so?

You really don't want me abusing it because I'll lose it on the first cast. I'll be careful with it until I get a feel for how it handles, then I'll give it heck (pardon my french...
).

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
With all this buzz on these leaders, Will this next SJCFA meeting be a life changing experience? Think it will be well worth checking out. Between Joe and Jim we should all be able to atleast know how to do it. Great job, will be looking forward to it and trying one out.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave G (not to be confused with Dave D, who I will address in a moment): i believe the leader comes out to about 7 feet loop to loop, to which you'd add a piece of tippet to connect the fly. I figure that the total leader length would be about 9 feet, when you account for the furled portion, and the mono/fluoro tippet part.

Dave D: I believe that you said that Jim's jig was very portable, and it just gets clamped down to a table at the proper spot. If he can, please have him bring that as well, since it will show everybody that there are different ways of creating these leaders. I'll bring mine as well, which is the full length jig, that rings in at about 10 feet.

As for the OD18 plans, please bring them. I'd like to see them and see what it is that I might be getting myself into.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Glad to hear some positive buzz about the leaders I first talked about well over a year ago. Hope more of you see, make & realize their advantage. Joe abviously got some good advice from my friend on No-Name Key.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Sparse:
We didn't forget that you were the first to bring it up... ;) . It just takes a while for old dogs to change their habits, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
edhead, go to the midcurrent website, and do a search for furled leaders. you'll get the instructions for making them, along with some pictures. this is where i got all of my information after reading a posting about this subject a long time ago that ron started. good stuff.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Checked out the article on the midcurrents website. I am sure it will be more fun to see it done in person. Doesn't look that hard once you get the hang of it. To try one cold turkey with out help seems like it could be a little slow. Should be a lot of fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts