BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get a feel for what other members think about different types of G Loomis rods.
Between my friends and I we have all have snapped our rods at one time or another. The only one that hasn't broke yet is the GL2 (cheapest one they offer).
Granted the customer service has been the best and I don't think I would use anything else, even their turn around time on rods sent out is great. Does anyone else notice the more expensive they get the easier they break?
Do the more expensive series (GLX-IMX) only cost more for warranty reasons? Only makes sense if the most sensitive rods are more likely to be broken and sent back out they have to charge more per rod.
I'm not looking to give up on Loomis rods, but I do wonder if purchases of a few more GL2's over the more expensive versions may be in my best interest.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If the sensitifity is the same to you then go for the cheaper rod. The more expensive rods are suppose to be more sensitive, but the cheaper one's are still good, it's your call.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I HAVE 4 LOOMIS RODS NOW . SOLD ONE I IDI NOT LIKE, I HAVE NEVER BROKE ONE BUT KNOW TO MANY GUYS THAT HAVE AND HAD HARD TIME GITTING THEM REPLACED. I HAVE TWO 10'6 SPINNERS ONE 1 TO 4 OZ. AND A 4 TO 8 0Z.THAT I LOVE. :cool:

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Frank,
I also snapped a G.Loomis IMX,but only due to
my abuse..Using a 7 footer on a bridge and
only after yanking on a snag...
Sent it back and for $50.00 and they replaced it
No Questions Asked..Love that rod due to how
light it is (4oz's) and how sensitive.But its
a true SodBank Rod even though its great on a
bridge's but it's not a rod to beat up...
Since then I have purchased a 6.6" G.Loomis
GL2 and its just been great for those situations.

I am looking now to purchase the G.Loomis
8' SUR965...Heard alot of good things about
that rod....

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
I had the same experience as Nightstrikes. Damanged one due to my abuse (actually my wife's but that's another story). Gave them a credit card for $50. They sent me a new one and I returned the damaged one in the container from the new one. Easy.

·
Registered
15,280 Posts
I own a GL3 and like the rod but have a St Croix of similar length and service and I can't tell the difference between them but the St. Croix was about $50 cheaper. I'm at work so don't have the numbers on them.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Used to use mostly custom loomis and lamiglass, but it's a much more expensive and time comsuming proposition to replace a broken section , so now I mostly use factory GL2's- can't beat 'em and, as already mentioned, they're a snap ( no pun intended) to replace. Still like Orvis for the fly rods- their 25 year unconditional warranty is tough to beat.

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
The lighter and more sensitive the blank the more likely it is to break. To get them lighter they use less resin and higher mod graphite, hence more brittle. As Gary Loomis said, "I can make a rod no one will break, but no one will want to fish it either". Alot of the high cost is the result of the lighter blanks breaking more and because Loomis is the one who started the, give you a new rod no matter how you broke it policy. They since had to change it, but blank prices went through the roof as a result of that policy. People now expect that when they slam a rod in a door, they should be given a free rod.

Try a Gusa blank, super light and thin for their strength.

[ 01-20-2004, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Bob ECT ]

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I have a 7' GL2 that I love. My brother borrowed it and he liked it too. Santa brought him one for xmas.

I don't see the need for an IMX. If the GL2 isn't sensitive enough for you you have nerve damage :D

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input, I agree the higher end rods have a little better feel. I just don't know if its enough to compensate for duribility. Although the warranty turn around time is great, I'd rather not deal with the hassle. My experiences are only with the Spin/Jig series (IMX/GL3)and the Greenwater rods.
Steve I know we really put those rods to the test, after all they are basically made for freshwater jigging largemouth bass.
Why are you guys sending in $50? It only cost me $20 for each broken rod. Is there a difference in warranties for each series of rods?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Frank,
G.Loomis used to have a NO Questions Ask Service,
Send the Orignal Rod back with $50.00 and they
would replace the exact same rod...
Regardless on How It Was Broken...
In my case it was well worth it for a $250.00 rod.

I believe the $20.00 return policy is if you
want to make a claim against the warranty because
of a defect in the rod if it breaks...,,,

I just checked their Website and I could not
find anything stating the above ,maybe they
do not offer that service anymore...

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
I remember in a past thread on the subject of graphite rods breaking, someone posted that in most cases the damage is actually done to the rod before it actually breaks. The rod is usually fractered in some way before it breaks under the stress of casting or fighting a fish. Graphite rods must be transported in a rod holder or in some other way so that the rod is standing free.
If a rod is carried for example ,laying in the bed of a pickup wether flat or leaning across the tailgate, the vibrations or bouncing against another surface will shatter or fracture the rod thereby weakening it so that it will later snap under stress. No doubt, the lighter, the more fragile the rod making this even more likely to happen.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
What I still laugh about (going senile) is I now have all these nice rods and still havent come close to the 47.4oz bass I got on an 9' Ugly Stick and Penn 710z with 12lb. mono.

All the fishing I did the past few years and havent broken 30lbs since a Cape Cod trip.

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
I broke a Muskie rod this past October. I called them and used the $50 replacement warranty referenced above (which covers a break for any reason). Great deal as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have the 6'6" GL2 MHF and the 7'MHF GL3 and I like both rods. The only complaint I have with the GL2 is that the reel seat does not line up the reel with the guides. I use a Stradic 4000 with it and it is a little off center.

I beat them up just like every other back bay/bridge fisherman here and the only thing that has broken on them is the tip on my GL3 which was my own fault.

I just can't see spending more money than I already do on my rods, when I know how much abuse I put on them. It's not like the GL2 or the GL3 are cheap rods either. The sensitivity and backbone on my GL3 is more than enough for me.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I own 12 Loomis rods ranging from GL2 to the GLX plus 3 Pelagic series rods. I have snapped one on a BFT, thank god it was someone elses. LOL! ( we all thought that it might have had a nick in it)

From what I noticed there is a differance between the rods for sensitivity but not whole lot also I have been told that the IMX & GLX are a little more brittle. So if you want a workhorse rod I'd stick with the GL series. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you want a strong and durable stick try a Cape Fear Rod. They are VERY strong and durable. I think Cape Fear might have THE BEST warranty policy of all the manufactures. The one time I had to send them a rod was for a broken guide that was my fault and I told them it was my fault. No questions asked and the ONLY cost to me was shipping the rod to them. They made the repair and picked up the return shipping cost. The Advanced Tech Series is now priced similar to a Loomis. If you think a GLX is sensitive try one of these out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
ive owned a 71/2 gL2 mh for 6years and man its been a hard 6 this rod is has and will be my go to for just about everything from bonefish to king salmon i almost landed a 100#bull shark with it but lost it only because i cut the line (chicken shyt)this rod has numorious knicks and gouges and just keeps going i replaced one eye the top one because a bass took me under the bridge and the top eye was being ground on the bottom of the span.honestly the best rod i ever owned !!!!!ZOOM :D

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Far every post here touches on good points regarding Loomis rods. I've owned around 10 of them from GLX to GL2 and have broken 3 or 4 as well. Only one was due to a tech problem. The others were from my misuse. The $50 "No Questions Asked" policy works nicely for a klutz like me especially when it costs around $20 to send it back to WA state(1 way UPS) with insurance anyway. I love the ultimate sensitivity and the super lightness of the GLX and IMX series but I also love the durability offered the workhorse GL3 series which is pretty darn sensitive as well. Though I still have one GLX always ready for that special ocassion/trip(and knowing I must guard it from abuse), GL3 is the way to go for me. Good bang for the buck IMHO. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts