BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was watching Saltwater fishing today. They showed his Smart Craft computer on the boat. He was running 35 m.p.h. not knots and was getting 1.3 miles per hour. This was equal to 26 gallons per hour for a distance of 35 miles. I was pretty impressed with this with three people on board and a full tank. This is on a 28' Mako CC with twin 300 Verados. T
Thought I would post my calcuations
Would be ok to be at the Wilmington in two hours and only burn 52 gallons.

Joe Termite

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
close to right

Yea almost got it right. Still I was impressed with the burn. We run a 26' cc with twin 150 Verados. Our average canyon trip, 200 miles with trolling and running at no more than 25 knots is 1.77. So I thought 1.3 at 35 mph was pretty good.
Joe Termite

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
35 mph at 1.3 mpg = about 30 knts and 1 nautical mile per gallon. not bad, but if you are figuring 70 miles to the wilm. , in 2 hours you will still be 10 miles short........

·
Registered
924 Posts
fuel consumption

yes I admit it I was home watching fishin show and not out slaying tog like I should have (porgy IV report).but any how the mercury commercial they keep airing is based on how great the fuel burn of the verados compared to all other brands is.wonder if they are bs or that good on fuel cause you can really change the fuel burn numbers by triming the boat or empty fuel tank .

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It's all relative. 1.3 at 35mph is satisfactory, but by no means impressive, for a 28' boat.

I'd get very close to 1.3 in my 34 Sea Vee on the way in from the canyons, loaded for bear, but with 1/2 fuel (assuming the seas were reasonable). My CV with F350s wasn't the most efficient boat around. A new Contender 32 or YF 32 with twin F300s would be roughly 20% more efficient still.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'm real curious to discover what 29 foot boat with 500 gasoline fed HP gets 2.2 mpg.

My only experience on something like this was a 31 Contender with 450 Hp and we got 1.1 mpg to the canyon at 25-30 most of the time. I had to hang on all day long and it wasnt fun (at all).

Thats great numbers your buddy is getting. Whats he running???

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Its a 289 intrepid. And it pisses me off every time i see it on the gauges. I dont remember the exact numbers but it is deffinatly something close to 2 something. He normally runs a little faster and its closer to the 1.6 or so mark when running offshore. His boat pisses me off cause his numbers at 10 miles or so faster match my hydrasport with a single going that much slower. But oh well.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
:) WOW, he's got that thing dialed in pretty well I'd say. Great economy for that size boat.

I tried to look up some manufacturers test data and chose a twin 250 HP application on a Grady 29 foot Chesepeake weighing in at 10,500 lbs.

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/site..._chesapeake290_t_f250xca_2010-08-15_owa_0.pdf

I was astounded to see that at the best speed, they still got 1.65 mpg. I wish they would post stuff in nmpg but they try to maximize the economy for obvious reasons. So they get 1.46 nmpg and I guess that makes sense why we only got 1.1 on the contender. We had smaller 200 or 225 HPs which had to run higher rpms, and plus, they were the stinky oil burners....

Hes got a keeper for sure in that boat tho! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I get close to 1.7 on average at around 30 kts. If it is rough I will be in the 1.3 to 1.5 range. I run twin 300 XS Optis, and for the power they put out, they sure do sip the fuel. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Decent fuel numbers for that size boat, but not impressive. In calm seas, my Southport will average at least 1.6 to 1.8 MPG or better at that speed, with 3-4 guys and 250 gallons of fuel. I've been on several boats in that class that perform as well as what you are reporting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts