BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace an old (1996) black & white hummingbird wide screen fishfinder with a new garmin 400c and have read alot on the Barn and talked to a few guys at the dock about them but still have a few questions to ask.I fish in the D.B.,mostly upper to middle 35ft. or less. Never out front in the deep blue.The salt water with a dual frenquency transducer will read to 1900 ft.(which I will never be in) the one for fresh water has a dual beam transducer that only reads to 900 ft. but a wider under water scope then the 1900ft. Will the d.f. trans. or the d.b. give me better readings in 30 ft. of water? Which would you buy and why. I can only afford up to $400.oo so please don"t bring up the $2000.00 fishfinders and other makes.:D Thanks to all.

· Registered
695 Posts
I want to replace an old (1996) black & white hummingbird wide screen fishfinder with a new garmin 400c and have read alot on the Barn and talked to a few guys at the dock about them but still have a few questions to ask.I fish in the D.B.,mostly upper to middle 35ft. or less. Never out front in the deep blue.The salt water with a dual frenquency transducer will read to 1900 ft.(which I will never be in) the one for fresh water has a dual beam transducer that only reads to 900 ft. but a wider under water scope then the 1900ft. Will the d.f. trans. or the d.b. give me better readings in 30 ft. of water? Which would you buy and why. I can only afford up to $400.oo so please don"t bring up the $2000.00 fishfinders and other makes.:D Thanks to all.
Good question. I don't have an answer except that I too am replacing my fishfinder with a 400c DF. Only because my old one is DF and I assumed that it's what's best for salt water. Perhaps the salinity affects a DB?

· Registered
1,371 Posts
To answer you question, a dual beam will give you better bottom coverage in shallow water. But to be honest, I wouldn't recommend Garmin for a depthfinder. I have a Garmin 498C and have tried the DB transducer and the DF. Neither gave me good performance. I now have a Humminbird 778C and it gives much, much better detail. I still have the Garmin and use it strictly as a GPS. For GPS, you can't beat the Garmin, but as a depthfinder, I was disappointed.

· Registered
1,371 Posts
The 400C is a good depthfinder, but for structure and fish, I think other brands show much better detail. The 400C is a newer unit than my 498C, and it might give better detail. If you can, why not go to Cabelas and see what they have on display running in simulator mode.

· Registered
780 Posts
Seaker, Looks like you are in Phila. Although I can't answer your specific question, It might be worth your while to drive up to Cabelas. I was there last weekend, go to the bargain cave. They have several depth finders that were returned. They sell them as new in the box with full warranty. They are unused just returned. They are also almost half price from the un-returned (new) units. They might not have the exact model you want but you may find an even better unit for the same or less cost than a new 400C...

· Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WALTJr

Seaker, Looks like you are in Phila. Although I can't answer your specific question, It might be worth your while to drive up to Cabelas. I was there last weekend, go to the bargain cave. They have several depth finders that were returned. They sell them as new in the box with full warranty. They are unused just returned. They are also almost half price from the un-returned (new) units. They might not have the exact model you want but you may find an even better unit for the same or less cost than a new 400C...
Although I do live in Phila. (Roxborough) Cabelas is a rather long way for me to travel. Besides, I have been there and came home with alot more then I should have;):D Great place:thumbsup:I just want people's opion that eather have the 400c or have seen it in operation.Thanks for the idea though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.