BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like gas prices will be hard on many of us who fish a lot. If gas goes to or over $5.00 a gallon it will really effect my ability to fish and may almost make me think of keeping it on the trailer this year.:huh: What are your views? Johnny D.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Don't give in. The enviros want you to give up the sport you love.

Find someone to split costs with you, and then go catch/keep/eat some fish. :thumbsup:

I think of all the fishing I do, and there's always room for more than just me.

Fluking - 1 guy in the front, 1 in the back
Wrecking - If you're on the wreck right, plenty of action for 4 guys
Trolling - You need 2-3 anyway
Jigging - 2 in the front, 2 in the back, 1 guy in each corner
Clamming for stripers - Ok, that I'm doing by myself, cause I don't want to share. ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ever notice no matter how broke you are there is always money for beer and fishing? If gas hits $5 at the marina which I'm positive it will. (seen $4.25 last year) I will just have to scrounge a little more. As much as i fish the rack service pays for itself. Just to trailer would cost me an extra 20 bucks in gas pulling the extra weight. Think i will be hauling some gas cans this year to save some money!

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
I'll still go out. I changed what I'll do this year with it. It won't be on a rack system, now it's on the trailer at a marina. Use the ramp and fill on the street stations.

I have an 18 ft CC, so fuels not that bad, about 3.5 mpg.

I also bought a kayak, so I'll be using it from time to time .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ever notice no matter how broke you are there is always money for beer and fishing? If gas hits $5 at the marina which I'm positive it will. (seen $4.25 last year) I will just have to scrounge a little more. As much as i fish the rack service pays for itself. Just to trailer would cost me an extra 20 bucks in gas pulling the extra weight. Think i will be hauling some gas cans this year to save some money!
I have been using cans for years, its just soo much cheeper. I have 4 five gal. Racing cans and a large funnel that's bent on a 45 (made for the old cars with the filler behind the lic plate) Its well worth getting good racing cans instead of these new "spill proof" pos cans. You can get them for about 25 bucks from summitracing.com

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Between Nov 2008 and April 2010, a few things happened that told me that you don't know what tomorrow holds, and when you find out, it might not be what you expected. Life is too short to wait. I will fish as long as my health allows.

The slip is paid for, and she'll be full when she goes in. Somehow, the gas money will show up. I really want to support the marina who's watching over my boat when I'm not there.

John, you're welcome to come out with me if you want. Northern Delaware bay.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have been using cans for years, its just soo much cheeper. I have 4 five gal. Racing cans and a large funnel that's bent on a 45 (made for the old cars with the filler behind the lic plate) Its well worth getting good racing cans instead of these new "spill proof" pos cans. You can get them for about 25 bucks from summitracing.com
I couldn't find the cans I'm talking about at summit but here a link for some from jegs for anyone that is interested. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/80211/10002/-1

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Between Nov 2008 and April 2010, a few things happened that told me that you don't know what tomorrow holds, and when you find out, it might not be what you expected. Life is too short to wait. I will fish as long as my health allows.

The slip is paid for, and she'll be full when she goes in. Somehow, the gas money will show up. I really want to support the marina who's watching over my boat when I'm not there.

John, you're welcome to come out with me if you want. Northern Delaware bay.
I learned those lessons on 9/11/01.
Let me know when the drum show up, I'll take a ride :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems like i have weak moments and feel it isn't worth it and see what happens down the road. Just bought a new top for my boat and slip is paid for. Dom thanks for the offer and i may take you up on it. If it stay's under $5.00 a gallon i'll put her in .:huh:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Northern tool catalogs, most of the "boating" mags have a portable gas station that holds 30 gallons and its on wheels with 10 feet of hose and a nozzle. I have been thinking about buying it for years. However gas on the water at the bh yacht club has always been within a couple cents of street prices. Hopefully the bay provides this year so we dont have to run up to BB every fckn day.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
As I stare at my large array of Internationals, my Stella's, my PLB next to my Cat I EPIRB, my new Rolex GMT, my Van Staal pliers, my Sampo Ball Bearing Swivels, the massive amount of spreader bars and other lures, my truck (because I have to haul fishing gear and it's cool), my boat which is the least efficient thing around, and other things I've wasted/spent more money than I needed to, I think it's my own fault if I can't afford to go fishing because the cost goes up. Let alone all the money I waste on too many restaurants, booze, nicer hotels, etc.

I could have saved some money somewhere to defray the increased cost of fuel if I needed to.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Its going to hurt

Seems like gas prices will be hard on many of us who fish a lot. If gas goes to or over $5.00 a gallon it will really effect my ability to fish and may almost make me think of keeping it on the trailer this year.:huh: What are your views? Johnny D.
It will put a crimp in all who fish one way or another,Gas prices will curb the going for a ride to check out the boat crowd, How about the head boat and charter boat guides and capts. with fuel costs for them and thier customers who travel long distances?I always would take road trips to tackle shops for seminars and sales.Have not done that in years,People are tightning up the belt.I only hope it stops before its too late. Once we loose the shops and marinas,and they go out they will never be replaced,:(

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
ill be fishing in the back alot more if it goes up to what they are saying. Back bay fishing for me hardly uses any gas but im gunna be sitting back there getting eaten to death by no see ums pulling my hair out because i cant get offshore.
But hey, we have this conversation every winter and some how most of us find a way to still get out there. Personally I think if we get to $5 a gal gas we will have much bigger problems than fishing.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I learned those lessons on 9/11/01.
Let me know when the drum show up, I'll take a ride :thumbsup:
I can't tell if your pet is a dog or cat, but grab it's dough.:D

Seems like i have weak moments and feel it isn't worth it and see what happens down the road. Just bought a new top for my boat and slip is paid for. Dom thanks for the offer and i may take you up on it. If it stay's under $5.00 a gallon i'll put her in .:huh:
It's not a weakness, Johnny. I'm wondering about it, too, and I'm not that good a fisherman, but we can't take it with us.........

I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Funny

This is sooo funny. If you smoke, price will not stop you, watching someone close too you pass away may not stop you as well. When your ready, you can stop. We fish!!!:thumbsup: So I'm not made of money but I will find away to fish from my boat as long as I own one. Price may hurt, but what we get out of fishing and from our boats is priceless to me. So I too may complain, but to not fish?.....Not going to happen because of gas prices!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
loved fishing for many many years, started with just a blue berry switch line and hook, bait worms, dougth balls, corn, fished evry chance i got.

as life went on, i got a job or 3.. then a car! then A BOAT ! then a bigger BOAT with A motor!!! and we all know what happens next.... no not the biggest boat and motor ever... wife then kids.... and little time to go fishing..

then the kids kinda grow up leave the nest and hey now comes the bigger boat & motor...:D

after a few years along comes this gas crunch and with that more fishing regs then i could shake that ole blue berry swicth at.

now the fun is gone the big boat is gone,all i can tell you is if you let your enjoyment slip away from just plain ole fishing,it slips away very fast,

1 - 20 of 36 Posts