BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is having an electrical issue with his boat he wants me to look at, before i start on it i wanted to get some input. He says none of his gauges, electronics, or switches work on his dash when he took the cover off the boat this year. he said last year only his fishfinder and the bilge switch worked. The year before the the ff,bilge, and gps worked,and sometimes his fuel gauge. Now that nothing works he would like to address the issue as a whole.

I was thinking possibly a blown fuse under the cowling as the cause, the motor is 1994 evinrude 140hp..what are others thought? All help is always appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Check the fuse block under the console, not just for bad fuses but for corrosion. Once they start to corrode all kinds of things stop working.... Use a meter or test light, don't just eye-check the fuses.

The FF and bilge switch probably have their own dedicated power wires to the battery. See if another accessory wire was left off at the battery terminal.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Not under the cowling, under the console... You should be able to follow the wires from the switches to the battery or the power point- find the fuses and go from there: post up what you find or don't find... Some pics can help

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Intermittent gauges, work/don't work. Sound like a loose or bad ground.

All your gauges have a nut setup that you'd remove to install a wire for each terminal. Verify they're tight. Disconnect your battery, remove each wire, clean each wire. If the wire and it's connector look corroded replace them.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so i looked at his wiring, and its a crazy mess. wires clipped and left in, some attached going to nothing, etc. only had a short period of time to look it over yesterday so I wanted to test his electronics 1st (FF, GPS, and vhf). Forgot a 12v power supply but did have a 12v battery that i just attached some 16 gauge wire to use as a source (real ******* hook up lol)
Floor Technology Electronics Flooring
I then connected the battery wires to the (+) and (-) for each electronic to give them power. Below is an example of the VHF, I did the same process for the FF and GPS.
Wire Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Electronic device
None of the electronics worked with this process. I know the ******* system I made works bc I hooked up the bilge to the clips and the bilge worked fine, so I know my power source was good. I checked the fuses on everything and they were good still. I was thinking maybe the inline fuse holders were bad and thats why nothing is working, what are everyone's thoughts?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Remote power past the fuse and make sure your battery is fully charged to start, especially with the fishfinder some can get finicky with less than favorable voltage. Keep us posted...

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Intermittent gauges, work/don't work. Sound like a loose or bad ground.

All your gauges have a nut setup that you'd remove to install a wire for each terminal. Verify they're tight. Disconnect your battery, remove each wire, clean each wire. If the wire and it's connector look corroded replace them.
X2 Go after your grounds first!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok spent time on this again yesterday with my buddy. It seems corrosion has done a number on the vhf and gps, after cleaning up the prongs on them and giving them power they worked this time. Next was the FF, no corrosion anywhere so we assumed it was the fuse housing unit. By passed it and gave it power turned right on. Next up were the gauges tested them for power with the meter, 12v to everything, so theres power to them even though they still didnt work, i believe once i clean up everything and replace the connections they will work for me. Didnt take any pictures this time bc it was dark and we were crunched for time, if someone would like pics of the process and better explanations just let me know.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just about completed this project. Installed a fuse panel hooked up all the accessories to it, everything works great. gave the engine a much needed decarbing and talked my buddy into compounding and putting a coat of wax on her, the boat had a good amount of oxidation (first time getting compounded and a coat of wax). I wish I took a before picture of the boat, looks completely different after the detailing work. Vehicle Bass boat Boat Speedboat Water transportation Vehicle Water transportation Boat Speedboat Boat trailer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts