BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YOU BOYS SHOULD ALL TAKE A LOOK BEFORE YOU GO. Going around Longport Rocks might be tricky this year. Coffin corner has filled in somewhat and there is a bar right off ocean rockpile. Might not be the sure thing that it used to be.

There was a time,many moon ago, when there was volly ball nets on the bech between the rockpiles. Looks like it is heading that way again.

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
thanks for the lookout
use tht cut many times will have to check it out before i go blasting through there
and also i dont know if anyone else noticed this but the last red channel marker on your way out of the inlet is sitting in about 6 feet of water whoever takes care of the bouys needs to take care of tht

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. That's what makes this site great.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My last trip through there in the fall was a blowout tide and it was SHALLOW. But, I forgot about it since then so thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've gone to the point to check that bar out during the last few blow out tides. Seems to extend from the channel to past the rock pile. I think it will be tight but it appears one could still use the cut but will need to run further north prior to heading out. Definitly will need to use extra caution running through there for a while.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
havent confirmed in a boat the depth but the shoals 1/4 mile off the beach appear to have spread all the way from inlet to about 5-6th street in OC the past few swells its been a huge wave blocker for the north end.
even on 3ft days at low tides their breaking.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is still doable but... big swell and you don't know and you turn that corner and you don't see:eek: ..the guys on the rockpile will be scampering around picking up all your stuff:D

Ge is starting to look like Corson's

·
Registered
263 Posts
Checked it Saturday at low tide, coulda walked between the rockpiles from tip to tip. Enough water for small-medium boats, but larger boats should stay way off the rockpiles.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Went over the bridge between Sumers point and the old Dunes lot on Sunday and I noticed that the area between the two rock piles was clearly shallow. I am hoping that the area will clear out later in the spring. If anyone goes through there in the future please post a report.

·
Banned
2,288 Posts
Thanks, let's do some investigating and keep each other informed. I hate going all the way to the bell. Especially in the dark.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My Experience

Most big boats do not run from rock pile to rock pile. If you watch a boat, like an oc head boat, for example they run from north side of the channell at the inner red/green center channell marker and go to a point that is outside of the outer rock pile by 30 yds or so, on the way out. I have seen some larger boats who come down the inland from the north and turn the corner and go left but they also stay out a good 30 yds from the outer rock pile and maybe 40 yds for the inner rock plie, on a good tide.
The water at the outer red marker is getting lower every year and as others have mentioned you can see the shoal at the marker on lower tides. You do need to stay on the south side of the channel when headed out for sure. It is amazing how when the wind and tide are opposite and running, you get some scary looking rollers and breakers in that area.
I heard from a guy who works in OC planning, that the inlet is scheduled to be dredged this year as a source for beach replenishment sand. I will give him a call later and see if it can be confirmed.
Maybe both Corson and GE will get a dredging to facilitate the beach repleshment ?
Blackfin

·
Registered
118 Posts
CONFIRMED!!! TRUST ME. I do not know if it will be from the inlet but it should, i hope

Its all gona change soon boys..... The state is dredgeing OCNJ in may. so its all gonna get rearanged

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
Kbartler said:
CONFIRMED!!! TRUST ME. I do not know if it will be from the inlet but it should, i hope

Its all gona change soon boys..... The state is dredgeing OCNJ in may. so its all gonna get rearanged
well lets hope its from the inlet because tht place gets crazy enough when u get a little wind and a million boats trying to get through
last thing we need is shoals all over the place

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
BACK TO REELALITY said:
...the last red channel marker on your way out of the inlet is sitting in about 6 feet of water whoever takes care of the bouys needs to take care of tht
Sorry, but DJ Coast is laid up after knee surgery and then he taking off to Alaska :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts