BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some pinholes in an area of the gelcoat on the non-skid deck of my new Scout. I also had a void in the gelcoat on the gunnel repaired last week. The fiberglass guy who repaired the void said it would be better to make the non skid deck repair in the winter due to the time it takes to repair. He said he would cut out the area about an 1/8" down and reaply the gelcoat and use the proper non skid mat. My question is, is it worth having this repaired? It's an area about 6 square inches that you have to look extremely close at to even see it and they do not go all the way down to the glass. I'm wondering if the repair is worst then the pinholes.

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
What happens it those holes get water in them and the water freezes? Might do some serious damage.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Just make sure the glass guy is that good...trying to match up can be a chore...may never look "factory"...but if good maybe so....non-skid is hard to get right and needs to have the right pattern mat to even come close...winter sounds right for that one....I would think it warranty work?????

·
Registered
191 Posts
If the problem is just small shallow pin holes I would live with it. Non Skid pattern is very tricky to repair. You might not be happy with the results.:mad: Water infiltration is a non issue. I would rub several coats of paste wax in the holes just to keep them from holding dirt and looking more obvious

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glassmann said:
If the problem is just small shallow pin holes I would live with it. Non Skid pattern is very tricky to repair. You might not be happy with the results.:mad: Water infiltration is a non issue. I would rub several coats of paste wax in the holes just to keep them from holding dirt and looking more obvious
Yes they are very small shallow pin holes at the very top of the raised portion of the nonskid. You can see the white bottom of the holes. I personally would have never even noticed them, my wife saw them while cleaning the boat. The fiberglass guy seems to know his craft and explained the repairs to very well and also has the proper mat. My concern is that cutting the area out may not be worth it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If it was my boat I would live with it. I do Fiberglass repair. I have repaired different non- skid patterns, usind this (GIBCO) flex mold. The repair won't be invisable. A spot the size of a dime is one thing , but a patch that size is tough.Your pinholes will be less obvious.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glassmann said:
If it was my boat I would live with it. I do Fiberglass repair. I have repaired different non- skid patterns, usind this (GIBCO) flex mold. The repair won't be invisable. A spot the size of a dime is one thing , but a patch that size is tough.Your pinholes will be less obvious.
Thanks for the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts