BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty easy fishing leading up to this moon. Get your herring now if you want to try chunking them in the rivers or need flukin strip bait. Ocean/Atlantic herring.

RyanF

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
isn't the herring season closed in Jersey?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Closed for river herring, Alewives and Bluebacks. Open for Atlantic Herring.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The confusing thing with Atlantic/Ocean herring is that there has never been a limit specified. I assume there is no limit, but I always went along with whatever the RIVER herring limit was. Now the RIVER herring limit is zero. I played it safe (I hope?) and took (35)......

The herrings regs never make any sense - 35 river herring LAST YEAR, but not more than (10) bluebacks or (10) alewifes?? What was the assumed species for the last (15) fish??

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
isn't the herring season closed in Jersey?
Fred - notice the slimmer profile of the ocean herring. Think I read somewhere that they are one of the most abundant fish in the sea. Only catch is that the commercial operations are not able to distinguish them from river herring species with a net.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Bet you looked like ya had a long night at the strip club all glittered up after handling them. Might have smelled like it too. They can make a mess.
nice work.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ryan, I've caught herring in the rivers before with the small spoons, gold hooks, and sabiki type rigs, but how/where do you catch the ocean herring?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bet you looked like ya had a long night at the strip club all glittered up after handling them. Might have smelled like it too. They can make a mess.
nice work.
Yeah, I think I am picking scales off my hands for days each time I go out for them

Ryan, I've caught herring in the rivers before with the small spoons, gold hooks, and sabiki type rigs, but how/where do you catch the ocean herring?
It is pretty much the same deal, except I don't believe they are anadromous. They spawn in the backwaters in the winter months. I use the smallest sabiki rigs I can get my hands on - they are usually eating oober tiny grass shrimp or weird copepod/isopod type stuff. Typical winter fare I guess. Guys look around the inlets, but it is definetaly more popular in the northern half of the state.

No rocket science involved, poke around a bit. If they are around you will know immediately - flashes/pops/etc. If they are eating and you are are not getting them, then use a smaller sabiki....I have caught them on all tides, but I have found that the all out herring insanity is pretty tide specific....so if you find a few of them but it is slow going, check out the same area on different tides

These are the same herring that may have some of last cows of the year on their tail in late December/early January.

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
i catch alewives out of a lake with a throw net, i guess i would call them lake herring????????? :huh:

and gizzard shad..............
Lake herring, you're silly.....

RyanF

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah, I think I am picking scales off my hands for days each time I go out for them

It is pretty much the same deal, except I don't believe they are anadromous. They spawn in the backwaters in the winter months. I use the smallest sabiki rigs I can get my hands on - they are usually eating oober tiny grass shrimp or weird copepod/isopod type stuff. Typical winter fare I guess. Guys look around the inlets, but it is definetaly more popular in the northern half of the state.

No rocket science involved, poke around a bit. If they are around you will know immediately - flashes/pops/etc. If they are eating and you are are not getting them, then use a smaller sabiki....I have caught them on all tides, but I have found that the all out herring insanity is pretty tide specific....so if you find a few of them but it is slow going, check out the same area on different tides

These are the same herring that may have some of last cows of the year on their tail in late December/early January.

RyanF
Thanks Ryan

Dave

·
Registered
924 Posts
I've caught them in cm sj at the point just n of concrete ship jetty on a small jig .they are plentiful in the bay throughout the spring but is that area closed too .I caught alot of herring mack fishing belmar and did not catch to well on them when I tried them for baits fluke ,striper ,bft.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Tried last night............;)

·
Registered
469 Posts
River herring...

Its funny they don't know what is depleting the river herring population. May be it's the shift in the type of boats used to catch them off shore. They have shifted to large trawlers with deep running gear. Where as before it was a small boat fishery...I wonder..

I am no fish biologist so I don't pretend to know the difference between these fish, even thought its easy to see.

Unfortunately, as I read it ALL herring will be closed by the middle of the month?
"Amendment 2 of the ASMFC fishery management plan for river herring applies to the state’s entire population of migratory herring in both marine and fresh waters."

So will it be illegal to have possession once this is enacted? If so, I guess I won't kill any. These regs are crazy!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its funny they don't know what is depleting the river herring population. May be it's the shift in the type of boats used to catch them off shore. They have shifted to large trawlers with deep running gear. Where as before it was a small boat fishery...I wonder..

I am no fish biologist so I don't pretend to know the difference between these fish, even thought its easy to see.

Unfortunately, as I read it ALL herring will be closed by the middle of the month?
"Amendment 2 of the ASMFC fishery management plan for river herring applies to the state’s entire population of migratory herring in both marine and fresh waters."

So will it be illegal to have possession once this is enacted? If so, I guess I won't kill any. These regs are crazy!
I believe that you took that quote directly from the NJ state website. I have looked back at Amendment 2 (approved May 2009), and it clearly states in the introduction:

"PLEASE NOTE: While the FMP is the management document for American Shad (Alosa sapidissima), hickory shad (Alosa mediocris), blueback herring (Alosa aestivalis) and alweife (Alosa psuedoharengus), this ammendment pertains only to blueback herring and alewife. The adoption of this amendment would not alter the monitoring requirements or fishery management measures for either American shad or hickory shad."

Items in bold were in bold in the document. It doesn't even make mention that Atlantic Herring fall under the same management document, which makes sense to me because all other species mentioned are anadromous.

I remain under the impression that the imposed recreational moratorium is for the river herring species only - blueback and alweife....

You are right though, the confusion is all fisheries management is endless.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
All trawlers even small ones can fish deep water, that really just depends on how much wire you have on the winch and horse power. An while the doors, ground gear, and nets are smaller then the factory boats. It all does the same thing. Also I don't know when the shift happened but nowadays it's difficult to put a small boat permit on a big boat, maybe I'm wrong but I just had a long discussion about that with a captain yesterday and it came as a huge surprise to me also. Maybe that doesn't apply to herring?

·
Registered
374 Posts
-You dont think that the 5 million fisherman up and down the east coast using them for bait have anything to do with it??? What is 5 million times twenty??? what is the sum of that times 30 days on the water??? I'm no mathematician but that is a lot of herring-

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
-You dont think that the 5 million fisherman up and down the east coast using them for bait have anything to do with it??? What is 5 million times twenty??? what is the sum of that times 30 days on the water??? I'm no mathematician but that is a lot of herring-
It certainly doesn't help, but I don't know how much it really hurts. How many recs take for an entire season can get lumped into a single trawl? Even the dirtbags who would pen up 100s of herring illegally for later sale can't even compare. Even the legit bait dealers down here can't even compare to a full scale operation.

5M x 20 x 30 is also pretty extreme. That may be worse than government science. I would say that a lot more guys were doing it than ever before, the internet age has done that to a lot of little nick nack fisheries.

RyanF

1 - 20 of 27 Posts