BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just really getting started in surf fishing and I'd like some advise as to what gear to get. I have some older long (13-14 ft) spinning rods. Are they a good start or should I look more toward Conventional reels? Thanx for the help.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
tuny said:
I'm just really getting started in surf fishing and I'd like some advise as to what gear to get. I have some older long (13-14 ft) spinning rods. Are they a good start or should I look more toward Conventional reels? Thanx for the help.:rolleyes:
For surf fishing I use a Penn 750ssm on a 12ft 2pc Penn pursuit rod, loaded with 25lb mono, been using it for a couple years now and have no complaints. I have a Penn 525MAG I use occaisonally, but I mostly stick to the Penn ssm reels for surf.

·
Banned
817 Posts
tuny said:
Welcome to the Barn. They are ok to start out with if you don't want to buy a new rod. I would pick up a 10 foot Tica Dolpin for fishing the surf. Save the 13 and 14 for the rough surf days.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i agree. I have had a 10' tica for about 4 years and no complaints. graphite is also alot lighter and more comfortable especially if you like to hold the rod rather than spike it.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Welcome 2 da Barn...

Depending on where you fish and the conditions, those rods are a little too long an probably heavy, but will work of course. In South Jersey a 9-10 foot rod and with 2-4oz sattelites is ideal for bait slingin, we don't need to cast far or use a lot of weight. Up North, your talking about a different beach with "outer bars" and heavy ripping current where you may hear the term 8 & bait. Up there a 10-12 foot is usually the norm. Myself, I would never use a 13-14 rod, just too much for me, I like to be comfortable and keep things as light and simple as possible. A rod that long is gonna need a huge reel just to balance out. When your first starting out, you could possibly get discouraged using such a heavy uncomfortable combo. Every ones different. Of course these are just my opinions. Msst importantly it depend on the style of fishing you plan on doing the most, bait or artificial, jetty or beach, then you decide on what combo would fit your way of fishing.

If you need one rod to start I would like to recommend a 9-10 foot rod if you could only have one for now. It can be used for bait slinging, jetties, eeling, and pluggin, kinda of a good versatile size would be a 9', 9',5" or 10' Tica or Tsunami. Good rods that won't break the bank. Try for a rating around 1-4 or 2-6.

If you could have two rods: Two good recommendations are:
Pluggin (9ft 1-4oz) Penn 460 Slammer good match with 30 or 40lb PP
Bait (Tica 10 1/2 rated 2-8oz) 4500 Baitrunner with 50lb PP

P.S. The search function in the top right is really great. Just type in a keyword and the info is limitless on the threads and posts that will come up from prior posts...good luck...djc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts