BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried those large custom bunker spoons that were in a story in the Fisherman News several weeks back? Are they worth trying?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I fished with Capt. Jimmy George on his boat the Nicole Marie in Montauk a few weeks ago. He is the creator of the spoons and the techniques for fishing them. I can atest to the fact that they caught more and bigger fish BY FAR than any of the other charter or private boats out that day. We didn't even use the really big ones, just the middle size models. He said the really big fish weren't there quite yet, but we managed to catch six fish from 25 to just under 40 lbs on a day when no other boat had a fish bigger than the teens. And we only fished for three hours.

I had to have a pair for myself after than. You need special heavy-duty rods for the big boys and really for the mid-size ones, too. You can pull his smallest spoons on a standard 9 foot bunker spoon rod like the Seekers I use. Jimmy has custom built ten footers loaded with 60-lb stainless trolling wire and 100-lb leaders. He caught 8 over 50 last year including one a couple ounces shy of 70!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Very expensive if you can find them. The small ones are $59. The medium ones are $79, I think, and the monsters are even more. But you should see the way they swim. Very impressive.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
He was selling the small one at the Suffern show for $75. They come with a video on how to fish them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is the name of these spoons? I didn't see the article and am interested. Does anyone know where you can buy them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts