BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing NS's pic of that slammer caught on a darter and my recent interest in wooden plugs---- wanted to know the correct way to fish a wooden darter? I use Yo-Zuri mag darters regularly (mostly in the back bay), and have found that an erratic twitching motion draws the most strikes...With wooden darters in the surf, are they more effective fished with this erratic twitching motion, a stop and start retrieve, or a steady, slow retrieve? Does it depend on the conditions/current strength? And is a snap a must in order to give it better movement? Thanks----Mike

·
Premium Member
13,514 Posts
I've done quite well on Gibbs darters. I tend to vary the retrieve but seem to have caught the most on a simple steady, slow retrieve. I use a SMALL snap and it doesn't appear to negatively influence the number of strikes. I also always fish them with a teaser. As you mentioned, it does seem to help the movement.

[ 10-04-2004, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Barnegat Light Mike ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Mike,

This is from the Gibbs Website:

Darter
This plug is more effective when cast in the current and immediately ?jump start? with a moderate jerk of the rodtip to get the plug to bite and start its decent. Follow with a slow steady retrieve as the plug works from side to side for about ten to fifteen feet; then return your rod to a forward position pointed at the plug and allow the Darter to float back to the surface. Your line will need to be slacked to allow this but be ready as strikes often occur with an erratic left-to-right motion as it is retrieved. This is Stan Gibbs' most effective retrieve but you can experiment with different speeds and rod motions, finding another that is better suited in other circumstances

Here is the one I am using:

Black/Purple 1 5/8oz Darter

[ 10-04-2004, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

11 Posts
RocDoc-Get with hotshot139,he fishes with wood alot up north and usually puts a beating on fish.I was out with him the other day-the guy knows his plugging.The Loomis 965 that he recomended to me is sweeeeeeeeeeet!! :D

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by Scarface:
Nightstrikes,

What the link to the Gibbs website....Thanks

Scarface
Here you go Scarface,
Gibbs Lures

·
Registered
920 Posts