BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody hearing anything new about Globalstar Sat Phones?

I was told by a Sat Phone Sales Rep that sells all the brands that they are now great phones given their new satellites.

Thanks for the feedback....

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had them for 2 years and any issue I had they have fixed and reimburse me on bills Unlike our cell phone carriers LOL....I didn't even have to fight they where more then willing to help.....Only big issue I had was last year a service station in LA flooded and service was down for a day , I still don't understand how that should effect me here in NY but it did other wise no major issues in service

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the unlimited plan but that no longer exists...sucks because it was a great deal at $47 a month ....Now I have 10 min a month at $23 ....I don't normally talk for longer then that nor do I use it every month

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Could someone please give me the contact information to get their service? Do you have to pay for the whole year, or can you just pay for the months you use it? I'm glad I held onto our old globalstar phone, I guess we may have to change the Simm card as well. Glad they finally did what they kept telling us they would.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Been looking and going to buy.

I see they have a 1600, & 1700. Prices are close. Only a few bucks.

Which Globalstar model do you guys recommend. ????

·
Registered
811 Posts
Deep sea outfitters is who I met at the canyon runner show. They are located out on Long Island. Not sure of the exact model phone, but I was quoted $830 with 960 mins over 14 months...that included the phone and was deemed a boat show special. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it's something I am wry close to doing

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Deep sea outfitters is who I met at the canyon runner show. They are located out on Long Island. Not sure of the exact model phone, but I was quoted $830 with 960 mins over 14 months...that included the phone and was deemed a boat show special. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but it's something I am wry close to doing
At the AC boat show I was offered the model 1700 phone and charger for $399.00. To buy.

What model phone ???

·
Registered
811 Posts
At the AC boat show I was offered the model 1700 phone and charger for $399.00. To buy.

What model phone ???

My notes show 349 for the phone + 480 for the minutes. Unfortunately I didn't write down the model of the phone. I did note that the minutes included an extra two months as part of the special....hence the 14 months I referenced above

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Jay. - what's you thoughts? I got to get something. And the Wife is paying. My birthday gift. Lol
Here's my take on it:

Inmarsat was the go to like 3-4 years ago. Now i have friends that need to point it at the horizon in a certain direction to get it to work. The hard dock setup is like $1000 or something.

The GSP-1700 works flawlessly, retails for something like $500 less, and the hard dock is also like $500 less. So basically, it's a $1000 savings all around for something that works better.

This year we're installing the hard dock kit, wireless router, and will be able to pull up real time water temp charts (as they become available) as well as send text messages from our smart phone.

EDIT: I should say its not the phones that cause the problems, but the service. IIRC, the Inmarsat has a GPS locator in it that calculates your position to determine the best satellites. That's why it's so expensive. Globalstar had MEGA problems 5-6 years ago. It would take 10 min to locate a satellite and then drop it. This had to do with them not having enough sats up. I think that may the problem now with Inmarsat. I find it kind of peculiar though since Inmarsat was supposedly using their sats recently to try and find the malaysia jet :huh:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Does anyone have a comment on globalstar moving from qualcomm infrastructure to a hughes infrastructure. I have read they are doing this in the near future and the current phones will be obsolete. Whats the deal? I also see the pre-paid minutes for globastar is a lot more for way less of a time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.