BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We ran out yesturday a little late. Lines in the water bout' 9:00 trolled the hole to the northern edge, 73 up to 75.5 degree fairly clean water. 2 1/2 hours in and one knockdown on longrigger. Failed to set the hook and did not even see the hit. Trolled further north and picked up some chickens on the troll and the chunk. Total for the day 13 Mahi to 8lbs. Great day to be out but no BFT. Try again Sunday.

Saw very few signs of life, one turtle and a small pod of BFT pushing the surface west of the hole but they had lockjaw.:mad:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I dock in Highlands. However my boat is in Point Pleasant so I might shoot out to the HA and work back to the Monster - Arundo - Oil before running home.

Thanks Again

Cheers
Bill

·
Registered
56 Posts
I did a Bluefish trip last night on the Jamaica. We fished the northern parts of the mudhole. There were tons of squid in the lights as well as a handfull of flyingfish. The blues were spitting up sandeels, baby butterfish, and squid. Didn't look like any lack of bait there. I'm surprised the schoolies aren't on all of that bait.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dog,I was looking to head out Sunday but will have to keep an eye on the weather. If you are out 65 or 68 (Maddy Lou)

Crystal, we did not spend much time in the mud hole just passed through on the way home, checked pots and trolled around some structure. I did get out late and the sun was bright so that might have pushed everything down but we did not mark much bait at all.

Are you guys fishing the mudhole during the day as I have read?

If so have you guys picked up any BFT? I can remember going out this time of year and the headboats seem to pick a few BFT here and there, but have not heard that this year.

I agree, you would think the schoolies would be all over.

·
Registered
56 Posts
jy118lfd said:
Dog,I was looking to head out Sunday but will have to keep an eye on the weather. If you are out 65 or 68 (Maddy Lou)

Crystal, we did not spend much time in the mud hole just passed through on the way home, checked pots and trolled around some structure. I did get out late and the sun was bright so that might have pushed everything down but we did not mark much bait at all.

Are you guys fishing the mudhole during the day as I have read?

If so have you guys picked up any BFT? I can remember going out this time of year and the headboats seem to pick a few BFT here and there, but have not heard that this year.

I agree, you would think the schoolies would be all over.
I don't work on the boat so I couldn't tell ya, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did catch a few. I know they do hit some mahi and bonito on occasion though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I was there Sunday. Got 1 Yellow fin tuna 50 lb class and then nothing but empty dead sea for hours.

Just caught 1 lone tuna and we raked the area for hours.

I've been doing this Fishing thing my hole life. Just when I think I know it all, something happens I realize I know nothing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
FreezOrBurn said:
I was there Sunday. Got 1 Yellow fin tuna 50 lb class and then nothing but empty dead sea for hours.

Just caught 1 lone tuna and we raked the area for hours.

I've been doing this Fishing thing my hole life. Just when I think I know it all, something happens I realize I know nothing.
Hey Freeze, that's a great catch, I haven't heard of a yellowfin inside of the Chicken in quite some time. Capt Fred.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was out in the Monster ledge area trolling from south east then back through the pots last Sunday. One hookup, a small mahi. So I chunked the pots and went home with about doz. Mahi's in the 5 to 8 lb. range. Losts o fun with light gear but not as much fun as B/Fins. I agree with you, Andreas Toy, when I start to think I know something about this fishing stuff Mother Nature puts me back in my place. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking to head back out on Sun or Mon. Anyone going?

I am planning on sunday but the weather might put it to monday. I am hoping that the storm and front will stir things up a bit and maybe bring in some fish. I have had good luck in the past after the storms.:)

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Guy's start chunking inshore and you will start catching. They are there, no reason we can't do what they do down south, here. Start trying and they will BITE!!!!:D

SAL G

·
Registered
401 Posts
chicken and yellowfins

Yellowfin Frequent The Chicken More Than You Would Believe. I Know The "last Lady" Got Some Last Season And There Were Some Caught As Recent As 2 Weeks Ago When A Pocket Of 72 Degree Water Moved In From The The Tip. There Have Been Reports Of Yellowfin Caught Between The Bacardi And The Tip.heavier Lures Such As Zuchini Tuna Clone Daisy Chains Have Been Pruductive To Raise These Fish Inshore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts