BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know y'all get 'em a lot bigger Up North but then again our commercial tilefishermen pressure the fish a lot harder down here. They don't get a chance to grow to full maturity.

This is a guest I had aboard the TwinVee last week off Stuart, holding up his first Golden Tilefish ever. It went 17 pounds which is the biggest Tile caught on my boat so far. The steaks off that puppy fried up real nice.

It sure is nice to fish:cool: in mid-March wearin' t-shirts, shorts and Tevas.

Happy Easter & Happy Passover,

Catch-All

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The current recreational bag limit is one per person, per SAFMC regs. It used to be 5 GT's per person but SAFMC said GT's were being overfished. So they took us recs down to a 1 fish limit, an 80% reduction. This was despite SAFMC's own best "science" said that only a 36% reduction was needed, which should've meant 3 fish per person.

Meanwhile, the commercials, who are 96% of the Golden Tile fishery down here and are responsible for all of the overfishing, got taken down to only a 44% reduction. Hardly fair, wouldn't you say?:eek:

BTW - before any of the armchair experts start in:rolleyes: about me holding up two fish when the limit is one, I'd caught a double on my three-hook chicken rig and threw back the smaller of the two fish after the pic was taken.

Catch-All

·
Registered
717 Posts
I agree. I thought the talk was to go back up to 5....Not worth the ride south (30 miles) for 1 each...instead we go straight out for the daytime deep drop..... I hope it changes.....;)

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doc - how deep? Sorry, not on a public forum.;) Email me and I'll tell ya. BTW - I'm supposed to have a meeting with a scientist at Harbor Branch Oceanographis Institute early next month. If you'd like, I can see what bathymetry info he has for your area.

JBK - venting a Golden Tilefish? Unfortunately by the time they get up to the surface they're totally popped; they're dead. Venting is useless. It's just one more way that the new regs prove SAFMC has their head up their ***. They shouldn't have a per fish bag limit. It should be by total weight. Each guy gets so many pounds of Tilefish and then calls it a day. Same goes for Snowies. BTW - what inlet are you running out of down here?

Catch-All

·
Registered
717 Posts
Fort Lauderdale. I have a great spot to the south with some nice size fish on it...just not worth the time for one...thats all

·
Registered
717 Posts
JBK - venting a Golden Tilefish? Unfortunately by the time they get up to the surface they're totally popped; they're dead. Venting is useless.

Thats has been my experience ......

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JBK4001 said:
JBK - venting a Golden Tilefish? Unfortunately by the time they get up to the surface they're totally popped; they're dead. Venting is useless.

Thats has been my experience ......
When I went to the local SAFMC public hearing on the proposed new regs, I told SAFMC Chairman George Geiger that his stupid regs were going to become an incentive for recreationals to high-grade or cull their fish until they got what they considered to be an acceptable size fish. I told him it was actually an incentive for wasteful fishing but he just didn't seem to care.

Catch-All

·
Registered
112 Posts
CATCH-ALL said:
The current recreational bag limit is one per person, per SAFMC regs. It used to be 5 GT's per person but SAFMC said GT's were being overfished. So they took us recs down to a 1 fish limit, an 80% reduction. This was despite SAFMC's own best "science" said that only a 36% reduction was needed, which should've meant 3 fish per person.

Meanwhile, the commercials, who are 96% of the Golden Tile fishery down here and are responsible for all of the overfishing, got taken down to only a 44% reduction. Hardly fair, wouldn't you say?:eek:

BTW - before any of the armchair experts start in:rolleyes: about me holding up two fish when the limit is one, I'd caught a double on my three-hook chicken rig and threw back the smaller of the two fish after the pic was taken.

Catch-All
Why are you using 3 hooks if the limit is 1 fish, and bringing them up from that depth is going to kill them. Is it rare that you get 2 fish on the same rig at the same time?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trainman - yes, it is rare to get a double. Also, you never know which hook they are going to bite. And finally, that rig is also used for grouper & snapper bottomfishing - it's multi-purpose.

When I'm tilefishing, I have an 8 lb stick lead on the bottom and a 5 lb stick lead on the top at the snap swivel. What happens when it hits bottom is that the top weight makes the rig go horizontal and lay flat on the bottom. Due to the local Tilefish having to contend with the Gulfstream current which can get up to 5 knots plus, even on the bottom, the tilefish will not swim up out of their burrows to grab a bait but they will swim out of their burrows and along the bottom to grab a bait.

Hope this helps explain our tilefishing down here a little better than my first post.

Catch

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey Roadkill,
As of now, there is no limit in the mid Atlantic on Golden Tiles. I went to the Tilefish public meeting several weeks ago and as onow, they are supporting staus quo for recs. Our catch is approx. 2% of the total catch.

·
Banned
490 Posts
davereelseat said:
Hey Roadkill,
As of now, there is no limit in the mid Atlantic on Golden Tiles. I went to the Tilefish public meeting several weeks ago and as onow, they are supporting staus quo for recs. Our catch is approx. 2% of the total catch.
How do you know that its only 2% of the total catch! how many recs called in to report their catch! i'm betting not that many at all.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just go onto MAFMC's website. If the info isn't readily available there, email somebody at MAFMC "Contact Us" email address. I'm sure they'll give you the answer, as perceived by NMFS.

I am on SAFMC's mailing list and get their quarterly publication "South Atlantic Update". WHen I cited 96% of the Golden Tile fishery down here is commercial, I was using info straight from SAFMC.

Since recreationals don't have to report their Golden Tilefish catches to SAFMC that means that SAFMC is making just a WAG (Wild *** Guess) as to the level of our participation. I know that down here none of the recs I know overfish the tiles nor do they sell their fish. Yet I have personally seen twice where commercial tile guys either rammed or attempted to ram a recreational tile fisherman, just to intimidate them and push them off "their" tilefish grounds. Truly DESPICABLE. :mad:

Catch-All

·
Banned
490 Posts
CATCH-ALL said:
I know that down here none of the recs I know overfish the tiles nor do they sell their fish. Yet I have personally seen twice where commercial tile guys either rammed or attempted to ram a recreational tile fisherman, just to intimidate them and push them off "their" tilefish grounds. Truly DESPICABLE. :mad:

Catch-All
I'm sorry bud but the guys you know down there might abide by the rules but the tiles up here are pounded on pretty hard from all sides and in the past yr or so i have seen some head boats come in with pretty sizable catches! and the deal with recs selling them happens alot more than you think you just have to take those blinders off and maybe it will be a little more clear to you.You sound good but its not what really happens

·
Registered
312 Posts
Waterman,
What is your problem? I didn't make up the 2% rec catch, that is what the MAFC believes it to be. They also (in 2005) determined that overfishing was not occuring and that the fish were not overfished. That comes right from their website on Golden Tilefish.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts