1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Dont tell me that we got 6 in pond and they just had like 20 babies!!!!!:D

·
Registered
457 Posts
I just read the article in sws. So what do you guys think will they work?

Hey heavy my friend put a couple in his pond last year and now there are so many, the water looks gold they just took over the hole pond.
Rum Runner...

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regular "pond" goldfish won't last long in the salt.

These goldfish (Black Salty) are bred to live in the salt for 2 hours.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
BLUEGILLS ARE GOOD striper bait also ,especially in heat of summer. They last about 20 minutes , I clip the dorsel fin a little

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
barnaby said:
Regular "pond" goldfish won't last long in the salt.

These goldfish (Black Salty) are bred to live in the salt for 2 hours.
SOON AS THEY HIT SALTWATER THEY FREEZE UP. they don't wiggle ,swim ,nothing....like they're in shock.

Took 6 pond goldfish striper fishin' a few years ago at a spot that had stripers in it. Brought 5 back to pond.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Page 41 from http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2006/digfsh06.pdf
Koi and Goldfish are considered invasive species and can not be stocked or returned to the waters if caught.

I would venture to say that you can not use them for bait. As kids we would always use them for bait and my father told us one day that we couldn't. I never used them for Stripers, but the large mouths loved them.

Maybe saltwater has a different law

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I would venture to guess that in saltwater it's ok since they only live for 2 hours anyway before they dry up like a fig. It's not like they could start a colony under the sea, right?

Just make sure they aren't anadromous goldfish, or else they'll run up the streams and live in freshwater... ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was considering this about a week ago. I used some gold fish to cycle a new fish tank and was tempted to take them for bait. I figured after being impaled and dragged across the ocean floor in saltwater their survival would be slim to none. The chances of two of them finding each other and starting a colony of Gold Fish off the Jersey Coast even less. But entering a new species in any waters is a bad idea in general. Whether it's fish or plants or insects or anything. Big trouble can come from tiny critters!!!:eek:

·
Banned
2,255 Posts
Fish game and wildlife!

:cool: Against fish game and wildlife "rule's and regulations".
Buy shiners...put them in an Igloo cooler...Keep some Ice in the water...airiation helps...Place a coffee can in the waters edge where you are fishing...put some of your bait cooler water in it...place it bankside in the waters edge where you are fishing...aclamate the shiner's too the ponds water temperature...after 15 minutes,begin "Live-Lining" and fishing with your shiners,replacing one into the can as you use them.do not put more than a couple at a time in the can because as they aclamate to the warmer water they will begin to die!If your shiners are living longer while fishing...time things out so that your costly shiners are not stressed;;) Attatch a shad dart or jig head too a little spinner bait harness then tip the dart or jig with your dead shiners...The retrieve action will make the shiners appear to be "Alive". Convience in buying goldfish for bait as well as introducing them to the new waters is Wrong!!!BarryTheBass:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts