BASS BARN banner

Good Budget Reel(under $200)- St Croix 8' Ben Doerr for plugging

617 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  fmTuna 
#1 ·
Any suggestions for a budget reel(under $200)? I just picked up a 8' St Croix Ben Doer in perfect condition. I figured I would use it for plugging. I do have an old Shimano Baitrunner 3500 and Penn 6500 but wanted something smoother lighter.

#3 ·
http://www.tackledirect.com/quantum-cabo-csp40ptse-spinning-reel.html
A guide who fishes out of Islamorada and SIC turned me onto to these a few years ago and I love them. I think it would be perfect for what you want to do. I've caught 20-30lb Tarpon, Jacks, Snook and Red fish on them in the Keys and stripers and blues up here
Good choice.... If you are going to get it wet you may want to look at the Penn Spinfisher V though. The Penn is a little heavier but they did seal it pretty darn good.

http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-spinfisher-v-spinning-reels.html

.... and we are running a 20% gift card promo with this reel.......

#4 ·
True story I was fishing with the guide mentioned out of Islamorada. We ran up into Everglades national park for snook. The water was muddy not clear like around the keys so you couldn't see the bottom. We were staked out, after catching a fish I bent down to wet my hands and somehow knocked the guides setup on the edge of the boat and dropped it in. Cabo 40 on a custom rod, I felt like an idiot. He tied on a snagging hook and dragged it around for a minute and amazing hooked the set up. He slowly pulled it up and I grabbed it as soon as it broke the surface. He poured a bottle of water on it sprayed it with WD40 and put it away, giving me another setup to use and said "I'll clean it real good later" I later asked him how it turned out. He said the real was fine. Maybe he lied to make me feel better but that's what he said.

#5 ·
If it was mine, and it got submerged, it needed full breakdown for sure..... I think he was being polite :huh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.