BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss at work has asked me what to get for a pleasure boat. I know fishing/ocean boats but stay away from pleasure boats. He is looking for like a 28f and to ultimately spend around 35K or so. He has been looking at bayliner . I don’t think the quality is there and thought maybe wellcraft (Since I really do like Aqusports quality) was at the same price point but a better quality. I have usually owned Grady Whites so my idea of quality is a little skewed lol. So I wanted some others thoughts. What brands to look at ? I know four winds are good pleasure boats also.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
a pleasure boat that size is going to be an i/o...take a good look at searays they have many different layouts and are top quality..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a pleasure boat that size is going to be an i/o...take a good look at searays they have many different layouts and are top quality..
I have had outboards. Allways stayed away from IO as told high mainatenace and the outdrives only last say 5-6 yesars or so. Is that the case? soem 28 or so coudl have inboards which would be better right?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
i havent seen many 27 foot pleasure/crusie boats with outboards... grady is making large dual consoles in that size and then some but they are afortune...if you are set on outboards check with fountain or donzi..probably will be a cc but they do have ones with lots of comforts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
For a wealth of info on SeaRays check this site out www.Club SeaRay.com.
Certain years, certain models of just about any brand of boat had more issues than others. Do your homework. I service several Bayliners and for engine access, there down right horrible, very important thing to keep in mind, especially when $$$$$ is involved. More labor time = more $$$$. One of my boats is an 85 SeaRay 260 Dancer. Single small block Chevy. I'm 5'11 and can almost get comfortable on either side of the motor.
Capt.Matt

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
To the horror of some people, Brunswick make both Bayliner and Sea Ray and for a number of years, both the BL and the SR were build on the same assembly line from the same hull.

Today that's changed but Brunswick still owns both brands. SRs definitely have a bit better fit and finish, but they both use the same power trains, appliances, and electrical system. The difference is that where BL may use a chrome plated monkey metal cleat that's screwed into the fiberglass; the SR will have a stainless steel cleat that's thru bolted with a backing plate.

One thing you have to remember when looking at BLs under 30' or so; they are built and priced as an entry level boat and some aspects of their construction (such as material choice along with fit and finish) will refelct that. If you have any questions, head over to: http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/ and ask away.

Speaking as the owner of a 2455 BL I can say that it is a solid vessel, but basic. Some do have their idoscertricies, one is engine access as Capt. Mat pointed out. BUT there's only so much room in a boat with an 8' beam. I can easily access everything from the sparkplugs up; but things like replacing the starter or bilge pumps require controtions that my fat 'ol body can no longer do.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Crown Line Boats - good bang for the buck....

280 CR

Overall Length 28' 8"
Beam 102"2.59 m
Draft Up 21"53 cm
Draft Down 36"91 cm
Deadrise18°
Fuel Capacity 75 gal
284 LBridge Clearance(w/o Arch)"2.00 m
Max Horse Power 430 hp
Weight7400 - 7600 lbs 3356 - 3447 kg
Bow Entry Angle 39°

C JAM Yacht Sales has up to a 26 footer in stock ! :thumbsup:

Cardinal Joe :wave:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Searays are really nice i own a 270 amberjack and love it with the twin V8's they top out over 35 knots mines a 86 and you can really see the build quality is awesome. Have had it surveyed this year and the only thing he said to me is i should put some soap in my bilge lol

really like that crownline too very similar layout to the searay weekeneder. Also check out four winds neighbor has a 26' and they seem to enjoy it up on the lake and dont seem to complain of any problems

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Wow, what an endless discussion topic you've hit upon. No way to give any real worthwhile guidance without more info.
What will he use the boat for? Fishing, day cruising, Overnight trips, hanging out at the marina?
What is his experience level? A 28 ft for a first boat is not a great idea, IMHO.
Does he realize there are many costs after purchase? Docks, repairs, fuel, etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To the horror of some people, Brunswick makes both Bayliner and Sea Ray and for a number of years, both the BL and the SR were build on the same assembly line from the same hull.

Speaking as the owner of a 2455 BL I can say that it is a solid vessel, but basic. Some do have their idoscertricies, one is engine access as Capt. Mat pointed out. BUT there's only so much room in a boat with an 8' beam. I can easily access everything from the sparkplugs up; but things like replacing the starter or bilge pumps require controtions that my fat 'ol body can no longer do.

Ypu are kidding SR and BL are the same hull? Humm SR I have seen seemed solid where BL seemed thin walled.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, what an endless discussion topic you've hit upon. No way to give any real worthwhile guidance without more info.
What will he use the boat for? Fishing, day cruising, Overnight trips, hanging out at the marina?
What is his experience level? A 28 ft for a first boat is not a great idea, IMHO.
Does he realize there are many costs after purchase? Docks, repairs, fuel, etc.

Well like I said pleasure use, no real fishing use. Cruising around Staten Island/sandy hook with trips maybe just maybe down to LBI now and again.

And yea I told him about the costs and plan on about $10K a year to keep/run it.
He will have someone do all the work needed so that's why I told him probably not one older than 10 years or so with low hrs.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I like my SeaRay,it`s an older boat,lots of freeboard,plenty of fishing room,large cuddy,the deep v hull cuts through those 2's and 3's making for a fairly soft ride,and the 350 i/o pushes it at a top speed of 33/34 mph with 4 aboard..With 35k,there`s alot of boats to look at..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.