BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything comes down to tradeoffs and homework.

I was looking for a human-propelled, shallow draft, portable boat last year.

I had a couple of bad experiences with yaks in the past(which I admit I knew little about) and bought a canoe (with which I have mucho experience).

The canoe is great. Lots of space for gear, stable, two seats for me and the misses to go out for a paddle together, etc. But at 15 feet and 85 pounds it was a pain to get on and off the truck by myself when I go fishing.

So I did some homework, trying to better understand what features I need in a yak for what I had in mind.

I think I got real lucky today. I got a used 12' Walden Scout for a good price.

Sturdy, stable, plenty of room for gear but cuts through the water like a knife.

Best yet, it comes in at 50 pounds. I toss it around like a baby. Woohoo!

This yak is not rigged for fishing. I'm thinking three rod holders, 2 flush mount behind the cockpit and one in front of the cockpit for trolling.

How do you guys rig your yaks to fish easily, carry necessary gear, etc, without having tie-down points, rodracks in your way?

·
Registered
820 Posts
check out kayakfishingstuff They have a lot of yak ideas. I'm not familiar with your yak, otherwise I would give you some more points.
Good luck.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Nice Mike,,,

Another Yaker for Yak/PaddleFest ????

·
Registered
931 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE Egghead. You will not be sorry. I am not familiar with the Walden Scout. Is it a sit-in or a SOT model? I have a SOT and have 2 rod holders. I rigged a milk crate with 2 more rod holders for storage. The milk crate is great for holding tackle boxes and other gear. I have not added any electronics as yet but would like to in the future. The ability to get to skinny water quietly is the key. Most of my luck has been after dark, particularly in the summer months. Keep us posted of you results and the best of luck to you and your new ride!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
egghead,

Was that you Sunday morning at the Port Elizabeth WAWA with the tan scout strapped to a jeep? I was in the siver ranger with the green yak. If so it looks like a pretty nice ride.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Guys,
Yes, I am up for a yakfest!
Kayakfishingstuff is a big help. I want to spend more time in it getting a feel for where I want to put the additions. Drilling holes and later regreting it seems like a bad idea.

It is a sit-in model. The problem with the SOTS seems that they are cut very narrow (at least the ones I looked at). I cannot fit my hips (excluding fat) into them. For some reason (maybe my canoeing past) I don't feel comfortable sitting on top.

The scout seems great. It is SIK but roomy with lots of room for gear. I will not be able to roll it but then again I should not be in conditions to worry about it. As long as I am kept dry by a skirt in December, I'm happy.

I was not in Port Elizabeth. But the great thing is I will be much more mobile than I was with the canoe. Who knows? I might launch out of Port Elizabeth in the fall to chunk for bass.

For now, I want to figure out where the first rodholdeer should be placed, figuring out the best rod/paddle leash system, and painting it camo.

I'm sure plenty of questions will follow. Thanks for the encouragement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts