BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left work friday afternoon headed to Somerset saltwater fishing expo(105 miles each way).I saw that TFO would be there,figured this will be the ticket.Find their both talk about the rods but now I'm gettin itchy.I say to the man"lets close this deal,let me give you some money".Tells me we don't sell them,man was I bummed.Walked around for a few hours did find my Tioga reel and some other goody's,but no rod.Walked past TFO one more time,this time riegonel. sales guy there,he takes me over to a kyack guy that sells them.He starts looking thru his rods 10,10,10,8,10,8,10,10this goes on and on ,sorry no 9wt. Oh well I guess it,s mail order time.Start talkin kyacks then all of a sudden he says "I forgot about the ones on the rack".Got my rod, yahoo.Headed out the door bartender near exit says"now there is a happy guy with a smile like that".yes I was.Bought a lot of rods and reels in my day and have never been as excited as I am about this saltwaterfly fishing thing.Thanks again for all the help.The reel guy
thought I really knew my stuff when I picked up theTioga,wanted me to look at rods told him I was after a TFO said I can't fault you for that.Said thats going to be a nice outfit.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
congrats on the outfit. Now go wear it out.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I am sure the new rod will be great as you join the rest of us TFO users. Hope you get some big ones to put it to the test.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Hey, you scored! Let's get some backing and a line on there. I would let a fly shop get you spooled up. I use orange 50# dacron. I just got an Orvis WF-10-F/I, 105 ft., to replace my old 9 wt Lazer line, which had served me well.

What are you going with? :D

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried to get some Cortland 444 but the reel guy told me that was good line but Airflo Polyfuse XT in the stiper intermediate WF-10FI clear blue 1.5" per sec was great. Hope it was not a sales pitch,said he had both and would sell me what ever I wanted.For backing Northern Sport Northen Braid 30# orange.I went with his advise.Hope I did the right thing if not I figure I'm out only $40.00 or maybe it's as good as he says.Now i'll get my 12ft. Carolina Skiff
ready and I just told Barrel that I will pick up a Hobie kayak next sat.I think I'm almost ready.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try the Cortland 555 'Little Tunny" line. It is a camo clear intermediate that is the most awesome line I've used. I have fished in the salt with fly rod for 22 yrs. IMHO, it will be the standard for surf flyfishing.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Congrats on your new set up!
Do you know how to rig the backing to the fly line? How about making loops in the end of the fly line?
Any questions? We are here for ya...(just to help you get sucked in to the same addictive sport as us, of course!) Just kidding.
Enjoy the excitement. And REALLY, just ask.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Congrats,
Had an 8wt TFO made for me last year and love it. I ordered two more kits and am in the process of building a 10wt for my 5 year old and a 5wt for my 3 year old. Of course I plan on breaking these rods in for them :D :D .
Good Luck,
Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts