BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week got some pictures of blues chasing bait all over. It happened again this morning. Right at the end of the inlet there was a ton of small bait. Along came small blues in 5 to 6 inch size feeding on the small baits, followed by the larger blues and stripers feeding on the smaller blues. Action was so intense around the boat we were getting sprayed with water from the bait and fish jumping.

We saw three waves of attacks. They would last for about a minute and then stop. Couldn't quite capture the feel in photo, you had to be there.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Awesome last shot ;) . Now you're supposed to say that blue was 20lbs and was jumping out of the water to attack you, like a barracuda...

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lucky to get that last shot. With the delay in digital camera. I just pointed at the water and shot. Speaking of baitfish I did see some mullet in the back last night. Water has been very brown in back. In two feet of water could not see bottom. Believe that is why larger Chart/white flies were working so well. Think the small flies were to difficult for fish to see.
Here are a couple of more shots from last week.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Was out last night @ the CM point. The w*** was down so I gave it a shot. I fished all of the outgoing, heard some smaller fish flippin' out of my casting range but had no bites. Pretty dark evening w/o the moon. Tried black deceivers and poppers...I'm down all week. I'll keep in touch.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had an evening off and wanted to go out and get a few fish for myself. Tried to get a hold of longshanks (Pete Curran) from SJCFA who was on vacation down here and Peter Cole another club member who lives down here.

longshanks, got your message. Too bad you had to go back to Delaware for the day and were getting back late.

Peter and I got out around 6:30PM and headed to the back bay flats. Wanted to work the area where we had good action yesterday. Water was warmer, up to 78 and very ugly brown, could only see chart/white fly one foot down.

Figured the action would start about an hour later at the same tide. Wrong, it was just about dark when we got our first hits. We were fishing a rip line off a point and casting cross current. We were only getting a few hits with no hook ups and there wasn't as much bait as yesterday. Believe the first fish were blues and hitting the back end of the flies. Pete hooked a nice fish and had it on for a bit and lost it. About 15 minutes later a bunch of fish passed by chasing bait and swirling around the boat. We both hooked up and I was lucky to get my bass to the boat. Hit one of those big Chart/white flies I made yesterday.

I was afraid to change the color after dark to a dark color with the water so brown. Keep getting hits, so I kept on using it, catching a total of 5 bass on the night. All throwbacks. Were hooking the bass in two feet of water and they all fought well. Last fish of the night hit like a missle jumping about 2 feet out of the water and ran up stream like a bluefish.

Poor Pete, who is an excellent fly fisherman and who usually gets the first fish could not buy a fish. He had just about as many hits, but it just wasn't happening. As the tide got lower his sinking line was hitting bottom too much. I was using floating line and he even tried my other rod with floating line with still no luck. I think we could of done better if there was some visability in the water. At one point my fly hung up on the bottom in one foot of water. Went over to get it out. I had the tipet and could not see it on the bottom in one foot of water with a bright light on it.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Man, that pic over the end of the rockpile really brings back memories from before those rocks got busted up and all the access problems. Many a slob I carried from those rocks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts