BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Christie signs legislation reducing fishing registry penalties

ShareShare
Print Print page Font Size: Default font size Larger font size 1http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...le_56fc1170-3b44-11e1-a16c-001871e3ce6c.html#
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...le_56fc1170-3b44-11e1-a16c-001871e3ce6c.html#

Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 11:33 pm | Updated: 7:28 am, Tue Jan 10, 2012.
Christie signs legislation reducing fishing registry penalties By CAITLIN DINEEN, Staff Writer pressofAtlanticCity.com | 0 comments
Legislation approved by the state Senate and Assembly to reduce fishing registry penalties was signed into law Monday by Gov. Chris Christie.
The legislation, which was sponsored by Sens. Jeff Van Drew, D-Cape May, Cumberland, Atlantic, and Jim Beach, D-Camden, was approved last year by senators 39-0 and in the Assembly by a vote of 68-0-1.

"The purpose of creating the state registry was to prevent individuals from having to pay a $15 federal fee to fish," Van Drew said in a news release. "Imposing an initial fine of up to $3,000 for failing to register with this free database was completely unacceptable."
The state implemented the free fishing registry in May.
However, as the registry was structured when it was introduced, those who failed to register or were caught fishing without the proper registration would be fined between $300 and $3,000 for the first offense and $500 to $5,000 for subsequent offenses.
As signed into law, the first offense would cost $25 and subsequent offenses would cost $50 for private saltwater anglers.
Owners or operators of a state-licensed or federally permitted for-hire vessel who fail to comply will pay $100 for the first offense and $200 for subsequent offenses.
"The registry is used to collect information from anglers so that research can be conducted on how best to sustain our fisheries," Beach said in a news release. "There's no question that compliance with the program is important, but the fines implemented by the state are overly harsh."
Contact Caitlin Dineen:
609-272-7247
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Ok i read this today also.heres the catch.lol now they wont feel bad fineing people and now there gonna come and catch as many as they can.lol. I dont mind i have mine but who has been called on phone so far and asked about there fishing catches and obsevations?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
There are so many things that you can get fined for that accidentally may not even notice (fire extinguisher lost it's charge, flares are out of date) that this is an easy one.

Register, print it, keep it with your safe boater card and or boat registration. Done.

I agree with you; now they're going to start writing tickets for it, but this is an easy one to avoid.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I think it's a good thing, everybody complains about illegals taking shorts and prohibited fish. If the F&G officer didn't catch them with the goods he have to leave them alone. Now they have to produce ID as to who they are and the officer can take the steps he deams necessary to Identify them. I drive to most of the places I fish, my drivers license and fishing license are together. Also is the fine for not having a license or not carrying it?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
.........Also is the fine for not having a license or not carrying it?
They can fine you for either, but CO's have also said that if you have a legible photo of you license on your phone, that they'll take it.

Make photocopies everyone. Keep one in the wallet, one on the boat, one in your tackle box. Laminate them. I think this is an easy fine to avoid if we put just a little effort into it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
I think it's a good move. 25$ if you don't have it and then you are registered automatically as part of processing your 25 bucks. The big fines were rediculous. Hey there has to be some type of finger on the pulse of how many people are fishing for various reasons. The free registry was a gift IMO. Lots of other places where you have to pay for a liscense to fish. I have also never recieved any phone survey calls or questionaires. I do however fill out the survey from Stripers Forever each year, the results of which someone posted here in another thread recently.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
It wasnt a gift. It was fought for by several folks and groups. Namely RFA. Thank you Hutch, Capt Adam, Fran Verdi and others. For the free registry and getting the fines lowered.

Maybe consider an RFA membership and/or supporting your State chapter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts