BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a chartplotter and I would like to hear some opinions on what brands and models I should look at. It is for an 18ft Mckee craft so I don't need anything big. I fish mostly in the chesapeake and would like to get something for less than $1,000 with maps. Let me know what you think- thanks.

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Go Garmin, can get a quality plotter for under a G that is very user friendly, dependable & comes with great custer service/support. Check out their website for the varying models.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Garmin, Garmin.

I have been using their products for many years, never had a problem.
Easy to down load updates and very user friendly. great customer service too.
You can get their top of the line 500 series for under a thou with a sounder.

Catch em up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Garmin

hattrickll said:
Garmin, Garmin.

I have been using their products for many years, never had a problem.
Easy to down load updates and very user friendly. great customer service too.
You can get their top of the line 500 series for under a thou with a sounder.

Catch em up.
Have to second this. Been on boats with all the top models and used to think that the Ray was tops (forgive me Capt. Steve:rolleyes: ) but went with the Garmin and have never looked back. They make a great unit for the price.

We are a dealer for all the top brands and I looked this over very close.

If you want more info or a great price on any of the top brands feel free to call.

Mike

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Garmin GPS units.
Given an 18, guessing space could be an issue.
Might want to consider a value priced discontinued Garmin 492 now a days.
New about $400 with built in detailed charts.
That's what I currently have, very ez to use, display is fine in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys- seems like Garmin is the way to go

·
Registered
464 Posts
Out of Bait Nate said:
Thanks for the info guys- seems like Garmin is the way to go
Hands down Garmin..:D I just replaced my 2006 GPS with a 4208, and had a 182C prior to that.Also have a couple handhelds.. never a problem, and there tech.support is good also.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Get the Raymarine A 60 without the sounder pkg. less than a grand and comes with a silver map chip. If you want a FF later, you can buy the module and transducer and have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Nate, I too am shopping for one. I was all set the other day to buy one with all the bells and whistles in my price range. But when I went to see the model I wanted the clarity of the graphics was so poor I put my credit card back in the wallet and I'm still shopping. So if you can, make sure you get to see the model you want, what ever it is and make sure you like it. A 7" fuzzy screen may not be as nice as a 6" razor sharp screen.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Garmin, without a doubt will be your best choice. Function, features, performance, utility and service. :)

After that look at Northstar.;)

Buyer beware on the RAYMARINE A60 or A65 ! For the money, it is overpriced for what you get. For what you get , as a chartplotter, is weak. Breadcrumb and tracking features including memory and repeatability is poor. I won't even discuss the WAAS issues...do your research. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
Out of Bait Nate said:
I am looking to get a chartplotter and I would like to hear some opinions on what brands and models I should look at. It is for an 18ft Mckee craft so I don't need anything big. I fish mostly in the chesapeake and would like to get something for less than $1,000 with maps. Let me know what you think- thanks.
garmin nuff said

1 - 14 of 14 Posts