BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased an old parker last spring...no electronics came with the boat. We mostly fish in the bay (LBI Area) and no more then a few miles from the inlet in the ocean. The boat only gets used 3 months a year, prob less then 15 times a season. With all that said.. I'm looking for a basic fishfinder and GPS. Boat has a hard top. Looking to spend no more then $500. Two seprate units would be fine. Looking for recomendations both on brands/ models... and where to buy..
Thanks in advance.

Chris

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
You don't want to go to small with a dual unit as when you split the screen both screens are tiny. If you can spend a bit more I would get the Garmin 740s which have been discontinued and now can be had for around $700 to $800. Which is half of its original price. We sell the Lowrance elite5sdi for $459. It will give you a photographic image of the bottom on a 5 inch screen.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i have a garmin 540 gps/fishfinder that i paid 500 bucks for plus the cost of the transducer. the 540 is a great unit and does everything i want it to do for a reasonable price. there are plenty of reasonably priced gps/fishfinder combos out there to meet your needs. checkout cabelas or bass pro shops if there's one near you or within driving distance. i was at the cabelas in hamburg and they had a great selection of gps/fishfinders priced from about 300 bucks to well north of $2000. you can also checkout there webpages but being in the store provides you the opportunity to handle the unit in person and determine if it has the features that meet your needs. the garmin units are very user friendly which is why i purchased the 540. i didn't want a unit that was complicated to use and required a 300 page owners manual.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
right now there is a $200 rebate on garmin gps/fishfinder combos. you have to also buy a vision card too. I bought a 740s. got the card on ebay "brand new" for $55.00.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I bought the vision card also but felt it was a waist of money. I didn't get mine for $55 however.
right now there is a $200 rebate on garmin gps/fishfinder combos. you have to also buy a vision card too. I bought a 740s. got the card on ebay "brand new" for $55.00.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I bought the vision card also but felt it was a waist of money. I didn't get mine for $55 however.
i looked around for awhile and found it on ebay. I emailed the guy and asked if it was indeed "brand new" and he said it was and he was a garmin dealer. I took a chance and sure enough it came in brand new unopened sealed package. I must agree I don't think it is the best,but then again I'm still learning how to use it.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
As barrel wrote the 740s is a good unit plus you can add radar to it at a later date if you want to. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i agree the vision card is not worth the extra money, i think i paid 100 bucks for it after a rebate from garmin, would have hated to pay full price for one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts