BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help on purchasing which GPS/Depth Finder unit to purchase. I will be mostly in the bay occasionally running out to the NJ reefs. What unit will cover my needs and offer the most features? What can I get for < $1000? <$1500?

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I run boats with garmin, raymarine, and lowrance. Dollar for dollar, I would go with the Lowrance. I have had zero issues with the lowrance, and the garmin, the raymarines have given me issue on occasion. I have tried to reach Lowrance with some upper level technical questions and since the Navico deal went through, it is tough to get to a live person for what it is worth.

They are all good machines. I like them all, I just prefer the Lowrance for it's redraw speed and accuracy when it comes to getting on top of small bottom locations. If you like to anchor on small spots, I find I can get closer easier with the lowrance than any of the others. :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have used all Raymarine Equipment on my last 3 Boats about 10 years,with not one Problem,very user Friendly,just put all Raymarine on my new Boat C-120, last year I Pickup a Garmin 178C-GPS,,F/F,$400.00 for my small Boat,has a Smaller Screen but works Great,very user Friendly,I can’t believe the Info this unit gives you,its all so going to be my Back up Unit on the Bigger Boat now,

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Garmin 540s combo. Nice unit, comes with a dual frequency ducer and pre-loaded charts. A steal at 479.00
As far as Lowrance, just hope you never have to deal with them. Trust me. I deal with all of them. Garmin customer service is great. I like Furuno as well, but your at the top of the scale.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Last year I purchased a Lowrance HDS8 in your price range. This is my first real unit and I think it is great. The GPS is easy to use and the sonar is excellent. The insight maping is more than fine but later added a Navionics platinum plus card that is even better. Also added a fuel flow sensor. You hear a lot negative feed back on lowrance but for the money I spent for an 8" screen I am very happy with the unit.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Like mentioned be careful with the Lowrance units. If you have a problem it will probably never get resolved. They have the worst customer support right behind Teleflex. We usually shy people away from their untis because us and others have had so many problems with them.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Garmin 540s combo. Nice unit, comes with a dual frequency ducer and pre-loaded charts. A steal at 479.00
As far as Lowrance, just hope you never have to deal with them. Trust me. I deal with all of them. Garmin customer service is great. I like Furuno as well, but your at the top of the scale.
I agree. Garmin tec. support is outstanding. I've even called them from the bay and they gave me tec. assistance. I have four garmin GPSs and I'm happy with all four.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Like I said, I love my Lowrance BUT if I were looking for a new sonar that Furuno 585 is a beautiful machine.

I have the 585 also, nice unit. There was and issue with some of the older units getting moisture in them and fogging up some of the screen. It happen to mine the first year I had it, called furuno and they told me to send it in. They fixed the problem and sent it back within a few weeks, it seems they used a different gasket now on newer units.

You could save a few dollars and get the 620 same machine but smaller version.

I use a lowrance 7200 for my gps, I like the unit, never had a problem, but have heard horror stories about people try to reach customer service with their problems.

·
Registered
13,178 Posts
Great unit! And great price too! Garmin is right at the top of the game for sure!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.