BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On tuesday i saw a forecast for sunny and 60 degree's! i took wednesday off and tried to schedule an open boat trip....i never did look at the marine forecast...duuhh :rolleyes: !
that trip got canceled first thing wednesday morning. i decided to knock a few things off of my "honey do" list and then hit GP by 1pm for the outgoing tide. i took my time gettin' down there even stopping and picking up a nice cigar to enjoy for the ride down. it was beautiful out! what wi*d?! it was beautiful until i opened the door on my truck and that ENE wi*d biatch slapped me :eek: ! wow! i thought twice about fishin'...figured i was down there and ya cant catch fish if the rods are INSIDE the truck. i loaded up my gear and made the trek. was fishin by 110pm ....stuck it out until 430 or so. it was nasty, windy, cold...i swore it was december! the fish are there! got 2 shorts(9" :rolleyes: , and 20") one 25" slot that is waiting patiently for me downstairs to filet him! and also picked up a nice fat 30"er thats still swimming b/c of new regs and thats fine with me. the slot was skinny as hell :rolleyes: and the 30" er was fat. go figure. both shorts took bloods but the 2 larger fish took fresh clam...interesting. im still rusty i know that :rolleyes: . i had one fish break my line :mad: (knot failure)...pulled the hook on 2 others :mad: and missed another half dozens bites :rolleyes: . i was not a happy camper. still a great day. did i mention it was cold! talked to a few anglers who fished the "morning shift" and i would say 8 out of 10 guys had a slot to take home. apparantly it was a great bite this morning. they're there fella's! go get em'!

Nick

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Way to catch em Surfrat, did you use gobs of clam or strip them, seen some guy's using strip's of clam and doing pretty good that way !! Nice report for the crappy weather !!

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Nick great effort and you caught a few to boot, congrats and thanks for the report.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Nick that is fantastic to hear. I have been out there also and been doing great. I have only been out 2 times so far but each time I came home with a slot. It is really on down there.

Hey I want a daddy report. How is the little guy?
Any pictures. My wife is now or tomorrow will be 26 weeks and we can't wait anymore. It is great to feel that little girl inside her belly. It is way cool. We are still working on her room painting and such and our house is a mess right now. Its barely habitable for human use. Its funny how a little girl who is not here can change everything.

Congrats on the fish

We need to hook up and go fishing soon. You up for that.

Brian

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx Fella's.
SF, i was using the tongue(foot) cut down the middle. i was using a hi-lo rig with 2/0 baitholders. clam on bottom bloods on top.

Brian, i'll send some pic's of "lil' man". it is awesome! my next day off is monday. i might be able to sneak away for a few hours in the afternoon.

By the way...the fish's belly was empty..nothing, noda...zilch.
Nick

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Nick,
Thanks for the report! Now that's not a bad day at all!
Next day I have some time I'm heading down there. I haven't had a chance to fish that area this year yet.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Way to go Nick! Smallest was just under 6" .The bite has been helterskelter. Go figure. The "power" of fresh clam huh
? Guess it's gona be shoulder to shoulder from now on LOL.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Originally posted by logic186:
I am heading down that way (by boat) on Sunday. I have a feeling that I won't be alone :D
Unfortunately you won't see me! I probably won't have spalsh down until the beginning of May :(

Good luck out there on Sunday it should be beautiful!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Originally posted by LBI SurfRat:
i cant imagine what that place will look like this weekend!
I got there last weekend at 2am to beat the crowd. I had the place to myself till around 5am. By the time I left at around 11am the place was mobbed. A ton of boats there too.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I went to GP today about 7am till 11am got nothing with fresh clam or with the bloody red sandworm gulp bait.Boy that w*** kicked my arse it was bad but it was good to get out and fish.A couple of guys siad they got some shorts all around 16 to 20 inches.I might give it another shot tonight if the w*** dies down.BTW as I was packing it up at my truck fish and game showed up and said hello it is good to see them out and checking things out.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Lbisurf rat,

yo, whats up? Hows the little one doing? You walk right passed me. I was fishing where you cross the creek a little ways down. I fished from 7:30 to 8:00 pm, no keepers, only 1 short for my efforts. :(

Johnny d

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JD, sorry bro you should have said something. everybody was so bundled up b/c of the weather. little guy is doing great, he's cutting into my fishing time but it's okay! those were my first fish of the season...it felt great.
nick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts