BASS BARN banner

Great Bay Fishing Reports - August 2006

5K views 53 replies 17 participants last post by  A Frayed Knot 
#1 ·
What a great group of fishermen we have here this year fishing and reporting about this wonderful area of New Jersey that produces some quality fish year round.. Thanks Guys...

Photo's Couresty Of Scotts B&T Mystic Isl.

Please Feel Free To Post Your Fishing Reports And If You Have Any Questions About Fishing This Area - Please Ask... Thx....

See less See more
#2 ·
Got out late this afternoon into early evening in search of fluke. Not even a short was to be found. We did catch some croakers in 2 different areas of the bay with some cocktail blues mixed in. After having some sucess on LER this past Saturday I think I will fluking outside for the rest of the summer.

#3 ·
I hit the 126 this morning on the outgoing. By 930 I had boated 15 fluke, 5 Sea Robins, only two of the fluke were keepers. Headed out to the LER and caught one stinking little dogfish. Water still seem pretty cold at 60 ft. Gonna have to get a thermometer that I can drop to the bottom to check the temperature.

#4 · (Edited)
GB report

Sunday 8/6/06 afternoon
Grassy Channel
Incoming, slack, and top of outging tide
a lot of bait theives and a few solid hits. Sent down a small hook and caught a few very small sea bass. The solid hits felt like fluke but I'm still working on my bucktail technique.
Hot lure was Chartruse bucktail (all good hits were on this) with squid strips.
Got hungry and went to Oyster Creek, huge crowd. boats doubled up on the dock, waited 2 hours for a table on the deck. I think I'll leave the weekends to the shoobies.

#5 ·
DoorMatt !!!

Photo Courtesy of Scott's Bait & Tackle -Mystic Isl.NJ.

Ted Moore's 10lb/29" Fluke caught on Minnow.........

#7 ·
Not a Great Bay report but I went through the bay to get there.:D I fished little egg reef in the morning. The day started off ok. 4 keepers on the 1st 2 drifts and 1 more after the wind our killed the drift. Tried the GSS reef for 2 slooooooooow drifts in the afternoon and finished up on some wreck markings on my gps off the red tower that is actually orange if stand next to it. 3 of the 5 keepers were over 20 inches. Finished up along the beach getting a few cocktail blues for the table tonight that were great tasting after beerbattering them.

#9 ·
Kingfish

If you like the Kingfish, now is the time to get them. Had a family charter down on Saturday afternoon. Had to wait for the tide to start ebbing, but once it did, we had a steady pick. Kept 17 of them plus a weakie, most decent fish. You need to chum heavy, get the baits back in the slick, and DON'T SET THE HOOK. All you need to do on them is to start reeling. We fished in the stakes behind the fish house in 8' of water with clam chum and clam baits. Keep working the chum pot.

#10 ·
Good fluking in Bay

Spent about three hours with five lines in the water. Fished outgoing tide near inside of inlet and in ICW behind LBI. Took home Two 20", one 19", one 18" and one 16-3/4" fluke, plus 10 - 15 throw backs. All on squid & minnow combo. Only 2 -3 junk fish.

The kids had a blast.

#11 · (Edited)
I agree with Adam. He was just outside of me on Saturday. Fish the stakes, but I chum lightly. If the tides running the kings will be 100 yards behind you in the chum and you'll never see them, plus the porgies and sea bass show. I kept a dozen and thru twice that back. I also have a two words of advice "acme shrimp".

PS> Slayed the croakers on Sunday in 36' to 40' of water outside LE. And hat's off to Capt Adam for slowing down Saturday when passing us. It's unbelievable how inconsiderate some people are even though we're fishing OUTSIDE the unmarked channel.

#12 ·
Great bay rept.mid Aug.

Tried the GB today, saw a lot of boats, but no reports. What's the matter guys? Keeping it a secret, or just embarrassed to admit you got SKUNKED?? Well we went out and gave it a try. Here's the results: $40.00 for gas.$14 for a chum pot, $45 bucks for an assortment of baits and chum..tried the stakes west of the stink house=1 crab and 1 6inch oyster cracker. went to the inland waterway=nada. All in all, a good boat ride, even tho' a bit bouncy. I'll admit it, just at the wrong place at the wrong time!!!

#14 ·
Jim Shaw 6.3lb/25" LE Inlet

Photo Courtesy of Scotts Bait & Tackle Mystic Isl.

#15 · (Edited)
My best day fluking ever!

Fished with a fellow barner JohnnyD and his friend Jack today. Started off on the little egg reef with a flurry of fish. I was able to put 4 in the box in a short period of time. Jack added one keeper and 3 10 to 12lb blues that looked fun to catch on a bobber rig. Then there was lull in the action and moved to another location along the beach. After that we had an all out assult on the fluke. We finished with 22 keepers only 2 short of our limit. John put 4 in the box Jack added 3 and I finished with 15 keepers to just shy of 6lbs. Chartuse teaser rigs with a green gulp swim minnow tipped with a ribbon and a minnow.

#17 · (Edited)
Great crew, Great day on the water. It was the Best day fishing I ever had for fluke as a crew, the bite is on !!!

AFK was on FIRE, the Man was Possessed !!!

He made me a believer of the green swimming gulp. I was using shrimp gulp with a strip of meat and killie, but it was the swimming gulp that attracted the bigger fish where I was catching shorts.

By 8:00 am there must of been 100 boats on the LE reef.

#18 ·
johnny d said:
All we caught where Skates, sea robins, spiny dog fish. ;) :D

As Mister T would say;

"Stop your Fillber Jabber, Stop your Jibber Jabber" !:D

Calm down Johnny and just get the net.:D Nobody will ever find our spot up along Little Beach.;)

#19 ·
Great Bay Blvd

Been looking at Google earth and wondered that it would be great to put my kayak in somwhere along this road. Is it allowed? I see some parking areas along the bridges.

#21 ·
There is a nice area before the 5th bridge. It is about a 100 yards on the left hand side before the bridge. I have seen small boats lauched there and it would be perfect for a yak.

#23 ·
A Frayed Knot said:
There is a nice area before the 5th bridge. It is about a 100 yards on the left hand side before the bridge. I have seen small boats lauched there and it would be perfect for a yak.
that's perfect thanks! Anyone up for a dawn patrol?

#26 ·
Johnny Boy has jokes.:eek: I think you are just mad because you got outfished 15 keepers to 4. What did it cost you anyway? Thats right 75 bucks. Big Red and I have one thing in common. WINNING:p :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.