BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there has been so much grass in Absecon, thought I'd try fishing a different area so we made the run up to Great Bay and fished some areas that I havent fished since I was a kid. We prob caught between 50 & 75 flounder, most being small throwbacks and we ended up getting 16 keepers by the end of the trip. The fish were nice & fat and one was prob in the 3 1/4 - 3 1/2 range. Caught 99% of the fish on plain hook with minnows and caught the fish along the channel edges in the 12-17 ft range. Water temp was 73 degrees at the last of the outgoing in the early am when we caught most of the keepers.

General - I waved to you on the way in when you were fishing near Cross Tides, sorry couldn't stop & say hi, but had to get in - as it was I saw the sunrise and sunset on the expressway. :eek:

Get out on the water and catch em up while they are here.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
DP, Nice to here you did well in GB.I should have done the sane. We had 72 shorty's, no keepers. I can't understand where all the keepers are hiding.I allways do well back in there, but for some reason the larger fish aren't biting. I think I'am going to try a differant tactic, NETTING!!!???? Hope to see you next week,hopfully you can stop to chat.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
General - we used over 2 pints of minnows to fish through all of the throwbacks to end up with a decent catch. A decent amount of the throwbacks were in the 16 - to 16 1/4 range and nice and fat but back they went.

One thing I was thinking was maybe if we used bigger baits it would reduce the amount of short flounder and maybe draw the attention of some bigger ones in the area? I'm going to give it a try next time out. We did seem to get most of our keepers in a specific area in a short period of time so if you get 1 keeper, there may be others in the area so make repeat drifts and continue to work the area even if you dont catch any in a couple of drifts.

The area we worked over produced real well at the bootom of the outgoing after we had fished the area for over 2 hrs and also after all the boats moved on. Once the tide turned the bite totally shut down - colder incoming h2o temps probably.

Hope to make a trip next weekend but its my wifes b-day so well see. :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.